Desktop Picture Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m-dogg, Aug 28, 2006.

1. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Hello - Recently, I modified one of my picutres in iPhoto and set it as my desktop image. After I did that, I reverted that iPhoto image back to it's original. So I have the modified image as my desktop, but I no longer have that modified image in iPhoto.

I've been thinking about changing my desktop, but I'd like to save that image currently being used as my desktop image.

Does anyone know where the file of your current desktoop image is stored on your hard drive? I'd like to make copy of it so it won't be lost forever...

Thanks!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not stored in any specific place...it's wherever it was when you set it as your desktop folder. I'm sure there's any easier way to do this, but can't you go to System Preferences --> Desktop & Screensaver and see the name of the picture that's being used as your desktop picture? Then do a Spotlight search for it...it's probably buried in your iPhoto hierarchy somewhere.

3. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

No luck...when I go into the desktop setting on the Control Panel, it is blank. I went into iPhoto to get the file name of the original, and did a spotlight search on it, but only came up with that file and a thumb version of the same original.

I did some additional nosing around in Finder and found a folder called 'Desktop Picture' in a Cache folder.

In that Desktop Picture folder was a plain white file with a weird file name, something like 548.864535 - I wonder if that cache file is storing the image? It was around 5 MB, and the orignal is around 2 MB.

If anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!