desktop shortcut

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonD25, Feb 21, 2007.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

A while ago I accidentally dragged the Desktop icon from the sidebar in finder. So to replace it, I just went to my home folder and dragged the Desktop folder to the sidebar and it seemed to work fine. But some weird stuff happens now. Like, when I select it, it doesn't highlight. And in my save dialogs, there's always two desktops listed, one with the command+D sign next to it, and one without it. If I go to the Finder preferences (something I probably should have done from the start), on the sidebar panel, the Desktop is unchecked. If I check it, it will add a second desktop item, but if I remove the old one, the check disappears and everything is back to the way it was. It's really only a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I can live with it, but if I don't have to, why should I? Thus, I ask for your help.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried having the desktop icon not in the sidebar and then checking the box in the finder settings?

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I forgot to mention I tried that. What it does is it adds the icon, but the check box stays unchecked and everything is the same. It isn't until I check it again and when the second icon comes up that the check box stays checked.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could always try an archive and install. That would almost definitely fix it and it wouldn't modify your data.

5. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

That just seems like squashing a spider with a sledge hammer. It doesn't bother me that much. If there's an easy answer, then I'll do it. But an archive and install isn't what I want to do now.