desktop "things"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toezter, Dec 3, 2004.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i've been looking around the desktop threads in the pic gallery, and found some neat things on there.

question, how do i get my name and a flag on the toolbar? how can i get an anolog clock, weather status, and calander right on my desktop?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Anolog clock can be done under System Preferences, Date & Time (4th row usually) if you want analog clock in your tool bar. Otherwise, I believe the rest are done by www.konfabulator.com. The weather status and calendar I believe are from konfabulator, but that will soon be built right into OS X with the release of Tiger, and its desktop widgets. The flag, not sure which program that is.

3. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

For the flag, go to system preferences, languages, then click the input menu tab, once there make sure the box that says " show input in menu bar" is checked.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Your name appears in the tool bar when you turn on Fast User Switching (10.3 only). Go to System Preferences/Accounts and click on "login options." Click on "Enable Fast user switching" and your name should appear in the upper right corner.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

But in order to do all those things, you first need to take your computer out of that purple and white zebra striped bag.

ps if you haven't checked out the rotating cube for fast user switching, its well worth your time to do so.

6. silentrage macrumors member

7. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

aww man. my lame attempt to flame his thread.

i have played around with fast user switching on the schools g5 imac, so nice and fast.

thanks everyone for the little tidbits. i heart osx.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Which school do you go to that you get a G5 iMac?

9. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

at matc (madison, truax). they also have the g4 powermacs, no biggie. haven't seen any of them around the UWmadison libraries yet, tho i don't stop there often, probly 2 times a month.

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I use Stattoo to display my calendar, mail, clock and date on the desktop.

I also use Meteorologist to display the current weather in the top right corner of my screen.

Screenshot :)

Were you wondering about any particular "desktop thing" you saw? Or just about "desktop things" in general?

11. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

nothing in particular, just "things". stattoo looks a little cleaner than konfabulator, link?

12. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Stattoo: http://www.panic.com/stattoo/
    (The top result when you type "Stattoo" into Google ;))

It's shareware, $13 to buy. It's been well worth it for me.