Desktops Are So Twentieth Century

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 9, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

It's an interesting article..

I have to say that when I do finally buy an Intel mac.. It will be a IMac.. That's gonna be my work horse computer that I spend my most time on. My valued possession.

Then I'll go buy a low end 800 dollar PC notebook to carry around wih me . Why? Well cause I won't cry if it gets broken! LOL

I have to say i'd be DEVESTATED if I had a MBP and dropped it.. or spilled somethin on it.. or ect.. I can't say the same about a PC notebook.

Ang

3. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Desktops are better for many reasons, The fact that the younger crowd is going after portables doesnt mean the desktop is obsolete nor 20th century. Bias this article is, and though laptops are selling more, desktop is king of computing,and slaughters any portable machine or console. Because the new generation doesnt get that doesnt mean the desktop is dead. Though as a Grandpa & Gamer perhaps Im bias.

4. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I'd love to have an iMac, simple fact of the matter is, my MacBook comes in handy very often outside of my dormroom. But if I were to buy another computer, it would be an iMac.

5. macrumors 6502a

The writer is so bias I couldn't stand it. I have a PowerBook Ti667 at work, wouldn't want it at home. I have used a 12" iBook, feels like a toy and isn't very powerful. Desktops are king when it comes to computing power and expandabilty. I couldn't use a portable for my work - Graphic production artist, I couldn't stand trying to game on a portable. That line about being trendy, who the f#%k cares, reminds me of that old Andre Agassi Canon Rebel camera commercial where he says something like 'image is everything.' That is the problem with people younger than 40; it is what can you do with it that counts. So sick of that generation and their lack of understanding of how the world works. Let them drop their precious portables or have it stolen, then we'll see who is trendy. I'll be using my desktop laughing at them because that all-important portable is broken.

6. macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I prefer the Desktop as far as hardcore use. However, I can see how a book would be useful for my own life.

I'm 27 so I'm in the middle of that young/old debate.

I'm young enough to wish i had something with me all the time... Old enough to want to be able to read the screen. :D

Ang

7. Retired

psychofreak

Have you seen the thread about the guy who uses his iMac at school?
    He even cycles there with it!

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Desktop certainly have their place, I like my Macbook as I can carry it around, and it is a lot faster than my iMac G5 desktop, however if I could sync my two Mac's easily (Apple I'm looking at you) I think I'd use the desktop more.

I think if I was gaming then I'd definitely want a desktop, as you can't really game well on a laptop.

9. macrumors regular

Use your .Mac account to sync across multiple Macs.

10. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

The reports of the desktop's demise are greatly exaggerated. I love my iBook and it does most of my general computing tasks, but there are things that it or any other portable just cannot do as well as a desktop. By the time you get into a laptop that can somewhat equal a desktop, you're spending way too much money and it really isn't all that portable.

11. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I like a bigger and better displays and a real keyboard I can move around, keyboards kind of bite on portables. Plus sooner or later you going to drop that thing,bump it or whatever. Plus desktops are easy to upgrade and add to. Plus you can have a nice display and allways get a new computer or vice a versa.

12. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

a) I'm not spending £50 a year on .Mac,

b) it doesn't autosync documents and music, I could sync the calendar and address book with iSync via my phone, I want it to work like the iPod sync except over the network.

13. macrumors 68000

Earendil

Okay kids, you aren't getting it, the desktop is dying compared to the laptop. Why? It's very very simple. It doesn't matter if a desktop is 10x more powerful than a laptop, todays laptops are powerful enough for 99.9% of users. It has enough RAM or the average user, it has enough HD space for the average user.

Power users, or those using them for work, will use desktops because they need the power. But there is little reason to get a desktop if you don't need the power.

And if you can't see, get a display, I have a 20" Wide attached to my Powerbook, I can see fine...

However I'm a 22 y.o. CS major, so perhaps I'm in the younger go-everywhere-with-my-computer generation ;-)

~Tyler

14. macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Preach it, my brother.

unless your a hard core gamer - I wouldnt recommend anyone buy a dektop.

15. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont forget the Tv:p

16. macrumors 68020

thedude110

Losing marketshare, and likely to lose more marketshare, yes. Dying, probably not. Desktops aren't going away -- if anything, the next ten to fifteen years will likely see an expansion in the number of machines per household. Just as we see families with multiple TVs we're likely to see more and more families with multiple computers, and I have serious doubts that all of those computers will be laptops. Even in a tablet/pda/mobile device revolution -- even in the wired home or wired world where said mobile device controls that world -- there's going to have to be a powerful server at the heart of each home network (and a server isn't a desktop precisely, but it's no laptop, either).

I might buy the argument that the tower is "dying" in favor of the all-in-one, but there's still a large niche market for expandability and I don't see that going away any time soon, either.

17. macrumors 68000

Earendil

Which, is exactly what I said. Dying compared to the laptop. Even in the situation of a home server, which I completely buy, you only need one.

Desktops ruled for a very long time. But in a decade or two I would not be surprised to see desktops only accounting for 10% of computers sold*.

My immediate family currently owns and operates full time 5 laptops and 1 desktop. If you count the machines my father and I are given for work, you can stack up two more laptops.

~Tyler

*I'll note that I'm thinking of the consumer here. Businesses that don't want their employees walking off with computers have no reason to buy them laptops.

18. macrumors 68040

mduser63

My iMac is my main computer, although my PowerBook also gets used a lot. I can't really see myself not having both a desktop and a laptop. I really prefer working on a desktop, but obviously for portability, I need a laptop.

OK, I'm not singling you guys out, because you're not the only ones doing it, but this is something that has really been bugging me on the boards lately. Saying a writer or article is "bias" is just not correct. The proper sentences would be:

"Biased this article is." (or the non-Yoda-like "This article is biased.")
    and
    "The writer is so biased I couldn't stand it."

If you read the dictionary entry for "bias" you'll see that bias is a noun that means "prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair". It's not correct to say that a writer is predujice. You'd say that a writer is predujiced. It's the same thing with the word bias.

That's my pedantic rant for this forum for the year. ;)

19. macrumors 603

iSaint

Just checked out your artwork, very cool! I like...! Are you in school now?

20. macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'd buy a MB in a heart-beat if it had a graphics card for some light gaming. (Does CoD2 run okay on the MB?) However, it doesn't, and I really don't see it in the future, so I'm getting an iMac. I could get a MBP, but it's expensive similarly compared to an iMac, and and 15" it's not that portable.

21. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Desktops are so 20th century??? I have a laptop, sure, it's a Toshiba, cost $700.00. I wouldn't have a Mac laptop because I'd be afraid that something would happen to it. However, if I need to do any really meaty work I wouldn't trade My MP for anything in the world. The guy who wrote this article might be mildly retarded, very distracted by shiny objects.

22. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Well, Im 13 here, and I have to cast my vote for desktop. For a few reasons.

1. Laptops aren't Not powerful enough
    2. I have two windows 'tops, and they are too dang flimsy!
    3. -the most important reason- I'm the kind of girl who remembers to bring her $5 hairbrushes back from vacation, but forgets her $1500 laptop. (actually happened once- except it was an iPod.)

I don't need power on the go, which is why I have a Windows 98SE laptop, so I can get onto the net when I'm away.

Sorry young people, but I'm siding with the oldies (kidding;) ) on this one

23. SMM
    macrumors 65816

SMM

I have both and for difference reasons. The laptop is mainly for portability. My PM's and MP are for raw power. They both excel at what their form factor was designed to provide. I did not read the article. No sense in providing any respect for such a silly premise.

24. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er... what about comfort? I find using desktops to be so much more comfortable than using laptops.

25. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You mean, as in having to sit in front of a desk as opposed to anywhere? :p