Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingcrowing, Dec 23, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    well, I'm gonna have ~$2500 in january to buy a new mac or two, I'd like to get a laptop and desktop. Now dont tell me to wait, I dont care too much about intel, but I'm not afraid to get a Rev. A (and I wont have all the $$ untill around Jan 10th anyways). I'm a pretty light user (I'm use my computer a lot so I want to get something I'll be happy with though) I do internet, chatting, office, movies, and some occasinal photoshoping... So I'm kinda considering all the options at this point, but I want to get something from apple (either new or refurb) and I do get the student discount if I go the new route. I have a 17" Dell CRT, so that is an option if I get a desktop, also I have a 160GB SATA HD and 2x256MB of PC3200 RAM if I get a powermac G5 as well.
    so I could get a powermac G5 refurb (the new powermacs use DDR2 so I wouldnt be able to use my RAM...) they've had single 1.8GHz Rev. Bs for $1100 and then get an external 20" LCD (Apple, I really would prefer an apple LCD over Dell or someone else if I am buying one)
    I could also buy a Dual 2GHz (2xprocessor, not dual core) for $1500 on refurb and use my Dell CRT.
    I could buy a mac mini+23" ACD (I'd love all the screen space, and I'm just not sure I need the power of a G5, and then maybe in January the minis will be better...)
    I could get a iMac G5 20" the newest revision, and then get a 1GB stick of RAM for like $60
    however, since I would like to also get a laptop with that $2500, I was thinkign I could get a 12" powerbook+23" ACD, but for some reason I dont know as I'd like a laptop+external display...
    well what would you guys think? and remember, I cant spend all that $$ on just a desktop because I do need a laptop, I was thinking of getting a refurb iBook G4 12" once the intels come out if I decide to get a desktop, but its always an option to get like a 17" powerbook and use it for both, cause I dont need a lot of portability...
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I'd go with a 12" or 13.3" :) iBook for portability and general surfing and emailing, and a refurbished PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 or 2.0 for general purpose computing and as the primary computer.

January 10 is a good deadline, since MWSF starts a day earlier, I believe.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  3. crazysaxchris macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    I'm with you I'm waiting till January to buy my mac mini Intel!

Good Luck!
  4. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    12'' intel iBook-800-1000 USD
    iMac G5 17'' with like a 1gb of RAM
    Your set
  5. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    As you can see, I have a set up very similar to what you describe. It really is perfect for me, the PB is super small and light and the iMac has plenty of power when I am home. If I had extra money I would maybe bump it up to a 20" iMac , but that would be the only change.
  6. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    definitely go with a niiccccce iMac, they're great computers and will be powerfull enough for what you need, then you could go with a refurb iBook to cut the costs a bit, or go with the rev A intels