Desperate need of Help/iTunes External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by teacherteacher, Jan 20, 2006.

1. teacherteacher macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm in desperate need of help. I need to take my iTunes off of my work computer. I do have an iPod, but I want to have a second source of of storage for all of my music. My Tech person told me that he didn't think I could store my iTunes on an external hard drive. Is this true??? Can I store my beloved iTunes collection on an external hard drive??
  2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    If you have your iTunes Library folder on the External, take a look under the 'Advanced' tab in the iTunes Preferences. In there there's the option to select a new folder from another location on your machine – that should do the trick. I'm pretty confident you can select a folder stored on an external, but as I don't have one at home I can't double check this for you.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, you can store your music on any drive. iTunes->Preferences, then click the Advanced icon to change the location. This won't copy your music, that's a second step.

To get the music copied over, close the Preferences window and pick Advanced->Consolidate Library... from the menu. This won't delete your old music files -- you can do that later in the Finder after looking around and making sure it all copied correctly-- so you still have your old library and songs intact in case anything goes wrong.