Desperately need help- Macbook won't shut down, Airport disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sophisaur, Dec 28, 2006.

1. sophisaur macrumors member

sophisaur

Hi! I have two major problems:

1. When I try to either log out or shut down via the menu, the screen will go to blue then go back to where I was- WON'T SHUT DOWN!

2. The Airport icon has disappeared off of the menu bar, and the only way I can get online is through Coconut Wifi. What's going on?

I've reset my PRAM, but didn't fix anything. Help!

2. rontheancient macrumors regular

Did you try a hardware test?

A friend had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad logic board.

Also try to create a new user account and see if those problems happen again.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What apps do you have running? Do you have any system hacks installed? What sort of hardware is connected? :)

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What apps are running while shutting down?
    Have you tried disk utility on your start up disk as yet?

Bless

5. sophisaur thread starter macrumors member

sophisaur

I deleted two login.plist files and now it will log out, but when i press the power button to the "are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" screen, if i press ANY button (cancel, shut down, restart,) it'll just log me out instead of doing what it's supposed to. what is going on?

Hacks, etc. : I have Cleardock, and a couple days ago tried to use bootcamp, uninstalled it (i think) and then tried parallels, uninstalled that as well (i think).

questionable apps in activity monitor: pbs (3 of them), aped, mdimport

i can't run disk utility because i don't have the start up disk anymore..sadly. thank you for any and all suggestions.. it's frustrating to have things just not work.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You might need that disk for things to get back to normal. Try using disk utility on your mac and see if it will make a difference. I would suggest you order another startup disk from apple.

Bless

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well they should all be fine, but maybe ditch them for now. Start up in Safe Mode by pressing SHIFT at bootup and see if the problems keep happening there too.

They should be fine. They're system processes. Are they using up a lot of resources though?

You can run fsck from Single User Mode. Back up your files and do this straight away. :)