Desperatly waiting for the new PowerMac anyone know when they are due?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mnm, Aug 2, 2002.

1. mnm macrumors newbie

just sold my G4-400 so when I move to os 10.2 i can have a computer than can resize a window in internet explorer at more than 2 frames per second and get into the wonders of multi-processing.

Need to know the date since I am postponing jobs now so need to know.

Also just got an external firewire case to put my old hard drive in which i now use to boot up on my iBook, how cool is that? No system reinstall, No hardware setting up, just attach a bunch of firewire and usb stuff and it all just works the same as it did on my G4 tower. Can you imagine doing that with a PC - ***** impossible. If apple wants people to switch, I'd say that is one great example of versatility and of all the hardware working well with the os in any setup anywhere.

Don't post often coz I have to work but I read a lot of all your posts, thanks for all the insights.

M

2. mnm thread starter macrumors newbie

also...

anyone know if you can just copy a system, library and user folder from one hard drive to another on OSx like you can with the system folder in OS 9 and then be able to boot from the new drive?

and does an OS X installation on an external drive work on any new (probably firewire) system like my OS 9 system install does.

thanx

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Evidence points to the 13th, maybe the 12th, when the rebate ends for the current powermacs. This is some speculation that it might be the 5th, but the chances are pretty slim. I would plan on waiting until 13th - but you might have problems getting your hands on one unless you can get to a Apple Store. The faster processor ones might not deliver until September.

Good Luck,

D

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

MOSR is reporting that they are due at the "next apple event" with NVidia and Apple making announcements on their partnership with the motherboard. I guess that places it in early Sept.

5. mnm thread starter macrumors newbie

aghhhh.....

can't wait till september, the money is burning a hole in my pocket now!

also i'm in the UK so will have to order online since we don't have apple stores, there are resellers but i don't know if they can get tham as quickly.

6. MrSolipsist macrumors newbie

Apple is supposedly releasing new Power Macs on Aug 5

Apple is supposedly releasing new Power Macs on Aug 5 (Monday)

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: also...

I have not tried to move a library and user folder from one system to the next but It should work.

Yes, you can install OS X on an external drive. You can even install it on an iPod and boot off of that! As long as your device or media is at least 1.5GB, OSX will install on it.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: also...

Direct installation to an external disk works jsut fine in X.

Try CarbonCopyCloner for moving your System files around. There are a lot of invisble files that won't get moved if you do it through the finder.
    http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13260&db=mac

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd just suggest when you copy over your old stuff.... leave it on the old drive for a bit... til you can confirm all the important stuff is copied... i lost some stuff that had been on my desktop. and i was pretty sure i copied the desktop.... just a caution...

word up

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Your user account in the Users Folder probably holds quite a bit of your current set-up, and can be moved to a new system on another disk.

You just need to make sure you use the correct short name when you create a user on the new drive in order to use your old account.

I transfered the majority of my set-up to a new drive with only a couple problems.

11. mnm thread starter macrumors newbie

fingers crossed for monday

come on monday!!!!!!!!

PS why don't they just put all the invisible files in the root of an osx installation in the system folder instead so yoyu can just move an installation using the finder. that was one of the many brilliantly simple things about os9 copy a system folder and bish bosh new boot up system.

the booting from an i pod sounds very useful, is there any speed disadvantage even if the applications are fun from another faster drive?

M

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I have just one question for you: why did you sell your G4 before the new ones came out? I would have waited until you knew for a fact that the new ones were out. So now you're putting off jobs and the suspense is killing you. I can see the fun in that, but then again... ;) I've got a G4 400 and I'm hunkering down for a long winter... long loooooong winter... See y'all when the G5s are in bloom. :D

13. mnm thread starter macrumors newbie

got a very good price, probably much more than if i'd waited till the new macs were out, when all the older models then successivly drop in value a bit. got an iBook so I can survive, pluss its summer so i don't mind having les work to do for a while :)

i'm hoping for the lower priced new powermac to be dual processor too, any rumours on that?

M

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm not sure I understood you but are you saying that you can copy a whole harddrive (iMac600cdrw) to a say iMac500dvdrom and it will work fine? or will it stuff because of the slightly different computers?

15. mnm thread starter macrumors newbie

basically i took the 80 gig drive from my G4-400, put it in a firewire case (http://www.span.com) now i can boot up my iBook from the firewire drive with the installation i made on my G4, and I can boot up my quicksilver at work from the firewire drive too and it works on any other mac that came with firewire, regardless of whether it is a desktop or a laptop. The only thing is the extensions installed don't include the battery type stuff because i installed on a desktop but i can live with that. I have so many applications, preferences, fonts etc customised on my drive that it is a god send being able to have my setup exactly the same wherever i work and it is as fast as it would be as an internal drive. You couldn't do that on windoze, imagine all the 'windows has found new hardware' problems, drivers etc. Macs just all work pretty much the same, just the speeds vary really. I bet if macs were the dominant operating system there would be a tenth of the work for system admins to do, that's probably why they keep windows, imagine if all computers just 'worked' who'd make money out of maintainance and 'fixing' problems, who's going to make their job redundant? I know that's a bit cynical, no offence intended.

in short yes it would work but the best way to do it would be to do a custom install so you can make sure all the DVD AND CDRW extensions and applications installed so you'd have both their functionality. Not sure about how this is with OSX but with OS 9 it just works anywhere, tower, imac, laptop, I'm sure there are probably better ways of doing it but i don't have time to mess with customising every setup, if it works it means i can get on with work, that is the fun stuff. (unless you enjoy installing and setting up the same stuff continually trying to achieve the ultimate in optimised custom setups everywhere)

anyway, come on some one knows when the new powermacs are out, where are they???????

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Oh, okay! Well that doesn't sound too bad. Good reasons. :)