Despite tough economy, Apple doesn’t have to compete in low ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 21, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Despite tough economy, Apple doesn’t have to compete in low end netbook arena
    Description:: Many pundits are pushing for Apple to release a netbook (small, inexpensive subnotebooks made for basic computing tasks), especially with the tough economic climate. However, "Macsimum News" Editor Dennis Sellers thinks Apple should stay the course and avoid the bargain bin niche of computer sales

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

It seems to me that a netbook is nothing more than a weaker laptop with a smaller screen. You can't just tuck it away in your pocket like an iPhone, so the smaller screen doesn't really add to the portability. Personally, I'd rather just have a laptop. Would someone like to explain their desire for something like this?

3. macrumors 68020

It is just another form factor between iphone and laptop. Apple really shouldn't compete in that market, which is all about who can do it cheaper, in my opinion. They have two great platforms.

I would rather see then scale up the iPhone rather then try to scale down the Mac if they wanted something in that size.

4. macrumors 6502

It's cheap

5. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy an MSI Wind.

I'm glad we finally have a news article to back what I've been saying for a while:

Apple. Doesn't. Care. And now it's the only company that can AFFORD to continue to not give a crap about what people "want".

6. macrumors 603

SkyBell

My question is, how long can they sustain that?

7. macrumors P6

dukebound85

kinda against any point of having a company eh? lol

8. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They have 25 billion now and are going to be making another billion this quarter, so even if they make NO money next quarter, they can last a while.

Hence the quotation marks. Apple doesn't make the products that people want, because they don't really want them. Apple makes the products Steve believes people need.

I now defy anyone to question that people needed what the iPod became.

9. macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

With only 9% of the OS market, it shows.

10. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Which amazes me how they've managed to survive. Somehow they've convinced people they know what "they need", and whatever they come out with is what they "need."

Seriously, how did that happen?

11. macrumors 68000

robanga

Netbooks are cheap, fit in a large purse or very slim briefcase or pack and fit very nicely on a little coffee shop table. Thing is... I ( and I am willing bet more than a few others..) would pay $ 799 for a Mac netbook.

12. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Reality Distortion Field. :D It's hard to deny that it works, even if we are nearing the very end of the iPod halo.

13. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

Maybe someone who just wants to use MS Word, send e-mails, and casually surf the web?

14. macrumors 68000

robanga

Good marketing...the same way the media sells a new President as the savior of all :)

15. macrumors P6

dukebound85

called the cult of apple lol

i really dont know of any company that has the same type of fan base that must have the latest and greatest from the company as apple does

heck im guilty of it to an extent as evidenced by me being on this very forum dealing with apple rumors lol.

16. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then why the hell are people buying them?

Your argument eats itself.

17. macrumors 68000

Silencio

Profits >>> Market share. Apple doesn't have the economies of scale of a Dell or HP -- plus Dell and HP don't have to spend money developing their own OS and software -- so they'll never successfully be able to compete strictly on price, and Jobs and the rest of Apple leadership don't want to sell cheap junk just to try to take a couple of more percentage points of market share. What good is market share if you're losing money doing it?

Apple's market share has naturally risen over the past few years (and gaining 5 percentage points in their share of such a huge market is quietly significant) because they serve their core markets pretty well and their systems at their chosen mid-range and high-end price points are seen as good value for the money by many people. I too wish Apple could lower their prices at least a bit across the board, but I'm not prepared to argue with their success just yet.

18. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hang on... that sentence reads wrong...

I'm saying that no one can argue against the fact that there was a market for the iPod, even though it isn't what people wanted when it first came out.

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My step father got one on my recommendation. He spends 6 weeks in Florida each winter and didn't want to lug his desktop with him. Needed something small and cheap to check emails and pay his bills online.

It's a good solution for lots of people who simply need a cheap box to do basic tasks.

20. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

There's a famous quote by Henry Ford about this topic:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

21. macrumors P6

dukebound85

funny you quote ford considering its state at the moment!

22. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Unfortunately, Henry Ford has been dead for over 60 years. And unfortunately for the Ford Motor Company, all they've been doing for quite some time is giving the consumer "faster horses." If they had embraced new technology years ago, i.e. electric motors, they may not be in their current state.

The same can be said about netbooks. They're just "faster horses," in their own sense. Smaller laptops. Nothing new or innovative.

23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nobody knew that they wanted one before they saw it, I think you mean.

24. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that's it. :cool: Something like that, at least.

25. macrumors 65816

Since when has Apple been all about the bargains? Since never! Has there ever been a dirt-cheap, "Wal-Mart Mac?" Nope. There won't ever be an "affordable" Mac. ;)