Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nef919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
My mom just dropped off her iBook with a problem I'm at a loss for. It seems that one of the small "balls" that make up the innards of a dessicant cartridge got into the hole in the iBooks power port. (where you plug in the power adapter) Now the adapter doesn't seat properly and you need to hold the adapter at odd angles to charge the battery. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve bringing the maching to Apple on how to get it out. At this point you can't see the ball anymore.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know what a dessicant ball is, but use a strong vacuum.

If the ball is soft, shut your system off and squirt water up the hole of that power plug. Maybe it'll shrink it, and then you can shake it out.

If the ball is somewhat harder, then squirt a lubricant in there (olive oil?) and again, try to shake it out.

And can you please tell me what a dessicant ball is? :)

nef919

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
dessicant

Yes we are talking about the contents of those little packages. Not sure how it broke open, but evidently its been this way for a while. She just brought it to my attention because the original power adapter had to be replaced. Seems the round shroud deformed to the poit that she couldn't insert it. I have tried the vacuum, one of the first things I tried. As for the drill bit... She won't let me. My location has just changed thanks to her and I don't want to be there again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.