Destruction of Babylon: the Philistines are back.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jan 15, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4177577.stm

Some irony here, I feel...

What does to "further defeat" mean? A little respect for and knowledge of history might have prevented this, and the war, for that matter. What the hell is wrong with these people?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I remember in the pre-war phase one of the arguments used against Sadham was that he was using ancient ruins as anti-aircraft bases, and didn't that prove once again that he was the devil.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that he was also allowing some ruins to fall apart and destroying others, convinced as he was that he, in the long run of history, was the one of the greatest leaders of the region along with Nebadcazer (sp) and so on, and that therefore monuments to him were just as worthwhile.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

God has been crapping on Babylon for centuries after them building the tower and all ;) Maybe those Islam extremist should store all their weapons and bombs and bad guys somewhere else.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

That's Nebuchadnezzar to you! ;)
    A new Saladin, too, I think.
    And Bush is the new Juggernaut.

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Have you any evidence whatsoever that they have ever done so? And does that excuse levelling 5,000 year old ruins to build an army base? :confused:

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I knew I was spelling it wrong, but I didn't think I'd miss a whole syllable. C'mon brain. Wake up!

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its in the bible somewhere and no.

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I don't think it mentions Islamic terrorists.

Good! :)

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Skunk, I think you are being a little hard.

The US forces didn't "level" the site, that job has already been done. While I find the situation unfortunate, considering the mess that Iraq is, I believe first concerns should be on present and future Iraq, not the past one.

Strategically, it seems to make sense. If the forces were originally posted to the site for "protection" however dubious, it is definitely in the middle of a dangerous zone, and fortifications to a position are to be expected. It is also perhaps somewhat less likely that you will be fired upon occupying a historical site. I tend not to conflate politics and policy directives with mere military necessity/strategy.

war is messy and hardly dovetails with liberal-morality/ideology. If US forces had not been there, perhaps they would be getting flack for leaving the site unprotected, or perhaps "insurgents" would have taken up positions there, which probably would have spelled it's doom with a cluster-bomb.

The point of these hypotheticals is just to say that in some ways there is always something to complain about in a war, especially one that is not particularily coherent policy-wise and deals with an enemy which does not play by the same rules as we do.

BTW, Milo...IIRC, Saddam did see himself as a modern-day nebuchadnezzar, in that he realized the only effective way to govern/rule the disparate population of Mesopotamia, was to engage in great works and constant wars. Tyranny 101. Despots may be despicable, but they are often smart and pragmatic.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Curiously enough, it'd be almost impossible to establish a military base on an historical or archeological site in the United States. I guess our national environmental laws don't apply in Iraq.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure that is fair IJ.