Detailed Photo and Video Comparison of iPhone 4S and 'iPhone 5' Front Panels

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

iPhone parts company ETrade Supply posts a detailed comparison [via] of the front panels of the iPhone 4S and what has been claimed to be the next-generation "iPhone 5". As with numerous other leaks, the new front panel shows a taller display and the FaceTime camera being moved to above the earpiece.

The blog post contains a number of images and a nearly 7-minute video comparing the two parts, showing that not only is the new part taller than the corresponding iPhone 4S part but it is also 0.1 mm thinner and offers more light transmittance and more scratch resistance than its counterpart.

ETrade Supply has also taken a close look at the home button region of the front panel, showing that the hole for the home button is 0.3 mm smaller in diameter than the hole on the iPhone 4S, while the margin between the bottom of the panel and the bottom of the display area is 2.6 mm shorter, allowing Apple to significantly increase the size of the iPhone's display while only slightly increasing the overall device height.

Comparison of iPhone 4S (left) and "iPhone 5" (right) home button hole diameters

This is not the first time the alleged next-generation iPhone front panel has been caught on video, but this new video and photo comparison does offer the most detailed comparison between the part and the corresponding iPhone 4S part we have seen yet.

Article Link: Detailed Photo and Video Comparison of iPhone 4S and 'iPhone 5' Front Panels
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2010
  3. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2009
    Northern, VA
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2010
    California and Texas
  6. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    Always good to measure those mockups to compare them to 4s :rolleyes:
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    I shall call it whatever annoys OCD-ish people the most... so iPhone 5, it is! ;)

I should also get an "iTouch"!
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2012
    Why is the guy in the video wearing little condoms on his finger tips? :D
  9. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2008
    is Apple really going with the same form / case design?
    I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p
  10. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2008
    I used to say this too, but iPhone 5 would actually make sense. To the consumer 4S is like 4.5, making 5 the next version. No one really knows that the iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone besides tech geeks.

But it'll be "the new iPhone"
  11. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2008
    Darn. Was hoping for more of a redesign on the next phone but the more leaks I see, the less likely it looks.
  12. macrumors member

Jul 20, 2011
    How many different ways are there to do a rectangular design. The current design is more than sufficient. Now it seems there will be some other material choices. These constant "change for the sake of change" is ridiculous.
  13. aajeev, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

macrumors regular

May 7, 2008
    Here we go again, you find one of these guys in EVERY SINGLE post that's related to iPhone. Want to give it a rest? Or do you pride yourself in knowing this piece of information?
  14. macrumors regular

May 30, 2011
    Boston MA, USA
    Only took two posts...... We get it!

I like calling it the iPhone 4XL. Bugs the hell out of my friends. :D
  15. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2008
    Right, cuz jumping from 4S to 6 is quite logical in your head...
  16. macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It just seems an apple news site wouldn't want to perpetuate idiotic nomenclature.
    There is no iPhone 5 and the writers for this site should know that better than most
  17. macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2007
    Villas, NJ USA
    sorry- I couldn't watch past the introduction of the finger condoms
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2008
    I hate the name iPhone 5 because I'm so critical about product numbering. So many people I know call it that and it drives me crazy. Oh well...I'm still trying to decide if I will switch to the iPhone 6 or stay with my Lumia 900:D
  19. macrumors member

Feb 28, 2012
    Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs and they are fakes. To get people off their scent and then they will unveil a totally new iPhone...
  20. macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2004
    This guys dimensional analysis using the micrometer was great!

However, his scratch test was awful!

Too funny!
  21. bad03xtreme, Aug 3, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2009
    Northern, VA
    I just can't believe they didn't go for something like this...

Now this is a screen size that I think is a perfect solution, not too big not too small, even just a hair smaller like 4.3" would be alright but not this stretched out garbage were getting.

22. macrumors member

Jan 6, 2011
    This website now start me puking!!
    Every F%&/(O day there is some speculations on this $%&/() iThings

From today you have lost a user, *****ite!!!
  23. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2003
    London / Stockholm / Under your bed
    I don't give a flying ******* if there's 0.3 mm difference on the bloody home button!

This new iPhone might not be the real thing anyway, so there are two flying f***s I don't give.
  24. macrumors regular

May 7, 2008
    I really hope that's the case, I know I'm getting the next iPhone for sure, since I'm signing a new contract. But, it'd be nice if they have new redesign in form factor.
  25. Reason077, Aug 3, 2012

macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2007
    Thumbs up for the scratch test at 5:25.

iPhone 5 glass lens: "Totally no scratches"
    iPhone 4S glass lens: "Full of scratches!"

Edit: Also, this makes me wonder why the finger condoms were necessary!