detect keyloggers?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by codeSushi, Oct 16, 2002.

1. codeSushi macrumors newbie

OK, I am beginning to feel kind of stupid and paranoid here but I have reason to be concerned about a keylogging program having been put on my iMac remotely. There were a couple of really nervy coincidences, one of which led to a site defacement. Anyway, whether or not that is the case, WHY can't I find any information on how to detect and remove this sort of thing from Mac OS X? (I'm running 10.1.5 here at work.) I have done Google searches for every possible keyword combination till my fingertips bleed, and I can't find ANYTHING. Is this only a concern with PCs? I hardly think so ... but why is there no info? Someone let me in on the joke fast cuz I feel like I'm being "had"! :D

Seriously, can anyone point me to reliable and accurate info on detecting and removing keylogging programs from Mac OS X? Are there certain processes to watch for when you do ps -ax or typical locations & names of these things I can search for on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance ...
    ~soosh~

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Could you not just backup your home directory then wipe your mac clean and start a fresh? This wuld be the best option IMO, the one way you can be sure.

3. codeSushi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd prefer to gain the knowledge and the experience, actually, in hunting down things of this nature. And I'd hate to have to backup, wipe, and re-install every time I suspect someone has been maliciously sneaking and tinkering.

But I need the information with which to do it.

Why is this treated as some Majestic-level secret or something?? I don't get it. I'm pretty good at digging up info on just about anything on the internet, and I haven't come up with squat.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is the result of a google.com/mac search for "keystroke logger", there's quite a alot of results, one of them maybe what you're after. :)

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

What I did to detect one my brother had jokingly put on is: Set the time to 11:59 pm. Then wait until it goes past midnight (and changes the date) type a few words, mess around for a few minutes. Now go to sherlock, in your case, and look for files modified on that day. I don't know how often these apps update the logs. Just an idea... it worked for me.