Detecting wireless networks on iBOOK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBOOKnewbie, Dec 14, 2004.

1. iBOOKnewbie macrumors newbie

I have observed reently that my iBOOK does not detect some networks that other PC labtops do......

(1) is this an apple airport limitation??? :p
    (2) any other better effective ways of logging on wirelessly (thru system preferences settings) other than just allow the airport extreme card to do the detecting?? :rolleyes:

2. crackrock macrumors member

crackrock

An iBOOK? Never seen it spelled that way.

The iBooks get a lot better reception than PowerBooks, but still weak compared to some massive 5 lb PC laptops. The antenna for the airport card wraps around the border of the LCD display, so try rotating your computer or try Interference Robustness in the little drop-down menu.

I've found whenever I use my Microwave my airport connection cuts out. I used AP grapher to see the effect - it goes from 80% to zero the second I turn on my microwave.

It's not a limitation in Airport. Your iBook will work with any wireless network, even ad-hoc networks created from Windows computers.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

"Airport" is really just 802.11b, which is a standard accross all platforms; Windows, Linux, Mac. Airport Extreme (or 802.11g) networks are also compatible with regular "Airport" networks, unless the network administrator has purposely disabled 802.11b clients from connecting, in which case no Mac or PC laptop using 802.11b would be able to join, not just your Airport Mac.