Detroit Times gives props to Steve Jobs, iPod and iTMS

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stoid, Nov 10, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

theforce.net quotes a Detroit Times article that talks about how the iTMS and Steve Jobs have revolutionized the music industry, turning the potentially hazardous effects of illegal sharing, and made it positive and legal.

Link to theforce.net actricle.

Link to the Detroit Times article.

Does this mean that we are going to be seeing a QTMS (QuickTime Movie Store) in the next few years?

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

A QTMS would be badass, expecially if they offered rentals. My only doubts come from it making enough money to pay the bandwidth costs. And of course it's no good for dialup users, unless they're very, very patient. What's the compression ratio on Quicktime's new encoder? Pixlet, right? Oh, and the movies must must must play in fullscreen. None of this windowed QT crap. Not for a film.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I would imagine that a QTMS would use an MPEG codec. The pixlet codec was developed solely for use in high-end video editing, it was never meant or intended for commercial use. I think that it is at least a few years away, but I think that by 2005 all new Apple's will have 4 or maybe 8 x SuperDrive standard, and high speed internet will almost totally replace dial-up, and will be a great deal faster than current high-speed access today. You will be able to download and burn to a DVD a disc image of the actually DVD, obviously so that you can only burn it once, and all this in about an hour, barely longer than it takes you to go to Blockbuster to rent a movie. As HDs will also be a great deal larger, you will also be able to store the image on your computer and mount it and run it through DVD Player as many times as you want.