Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Feral made the announcement about 'later this year' quite a few months ago, I seem to recall. Presumably, they didn't know about the need for this Metal 'update' at that time.
I'm getting - another - bad feeling about this.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Feral made the announcement about 'later this year' quite a few months ago, I seem to recall. Presumably, they didn't know about the need for this Metal 'update' at that time.

As mentioned previously in this thread, I wager the likely reason for the delay is due to Feral waiting for Apple to sort out Metal bugs (such as the issues AMD and Intel cards are currently having with WoWs metal renderer).

The likelihood of Metal receiving NEW features in a point release is quite slim and it would be a strange development practice to begin working on a project requiring some kind of mythical unicorn update from Apple in order to get it functional for release.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
The likelihood of Metal receiving NEW features in a point release is quite slim and it would be a strange development practice to begin working on a project requiring some kind of mythical unicorn update from Apple in order to get it functional for release.
Exactly, that's why it is worrying IMO!
Something has come to light during the development phase, and that is why I am getting bad feelings about this.

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Exactly, that's why it is worrying IMO!
Something has come to light during the development phase, and that is why I am getting bad feelings about this.

It'll likely just be a bug in Metal, as several others have posted there are a few. That's most unfortunate and means Feral have to wait for Apple to issue an SU, but I doubt it is anything more sinister.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
It'll likely just be a bug in Metal, as several others have posted there are a few. That's most unfortunate and means Feral have to wait for Apple to issue an SU, but I doubt it is anything more sinister.
I sincerely hope you're right. Still getting that deja vu feeling. I'll try and control it!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

They made it at the end of October. They communicate closely with Apple. I wouldn't worry.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
They made it at the end of October. They communicate closely with Apple. I wouldn't worry.
I hope you're right!
I think it was mid September when they announced that it would be released this year.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I'd also wager that some (possibly internal) macOS betas have this bug fixed, which is why Feral was confident to ship the game this year.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
That's when they announced the game, but we didn't hear about the Metal delay til late October. http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/666/
What I mean is that they announced it would be later this year in mid September, and were clearly unaware of the issue even that late in the development period. Seems slightly odd to me, but what do I know?
[doublepost=1478454370][/doublepost]
I'd also wager that some (possibly internal) macOS betas have this bug fixed, which is why Feral was confident to ship the game this year.
Maybe, however the 10.12.2 dev betas were released after the Feral 'later this year' announcement, so seems unlikely.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What I mean is that they announced it would be later this year in mid September, and were clearly unaware of the issue even that late in the development period. Seems slightly odd to me, but what do I know?

Maybe they didn't run into the bug, they thought they could work around it, or the bug was introduced in a later Sierra build, or they knew about it but Apple had planned to fix (Sierra was still in beta at that point) it but didn't for whatever reason...so many possibilities.

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone!

We're still working on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Mac and we'd like it to be as polished as possible before we announce a release date. When we have more news, we'll keep you updated on our website and social media channels :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Hi everyone!

We're still working on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Mac and we'd like it to be as polished as possible before we announce a release date. When we have more news, we'll keep you updated on our website and social media channels :)
Thanks a lot for letting us know.
Are you still waiting on the 'update to Metal coming later this year'?

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Thanks a lot for letting us know.
Are you still waiting on the 'update to Metal coming later this year'?
Hie, we were indeed aiming for later this year, but Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't quite ready yet. it will be released on Mac only once it's reached the spectacular standards demanded by the game. Keep an eye on our website and social media - when we're happy that the game is shiny and ready for Mac, we'll let you know!

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Hie, we were indeed aiming for later this year, but Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't quite ready yet. it will be released on Mac only once it's reached the spectacular standards demanded by the game. Keep an eye on our website and social media - when we're happy that the game is shiny and ready for Mac, we'll let you know!
Thanks again. I'll take that as 'not this year' then!
A couple of weeks ago, you guys had said 'Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Mac is standing by until Metal is updated later this year'. Are you still waiting on that Metal update?

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Thanks again. I'll take that as 'not this year' then!
A couple of weeks ago, you guys had said 'Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Mac is standing by until Metal is updated later this year'. Are you still waiting on that Metal update?
Yes, we're still waiting on the Metal update!

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
I guess you mean 10.12.2!
Good question, but I doubt if they will answer until public release. NDA and all that!

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks, but that makes no sense to me. You say you are waiting on a Metal update later this year, so surely you must know if that update is in 10.12.2 or not! It either is or it isn't!

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks, but that makes no sense to me. You say you are waiting on a Metal update later this year, so surely you must know if that update is in 10.12.2 or not! It either is or it isn't!

He's probably not supposed to talk about specific details from his discussions with Apple, I wouldn't read too much into it (i.e. he learned stuff under an NDA). Apple doesn't like other people talking about their releases as a general rule.

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I can't really get into the nitty-gritty of this, but rest assured that we're doing what we can to get Metal ready to support Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It's a demanding game, so it's taking us longer than anticipated. Thanks everyone for your patience!

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Or maybe Feral didn't actually know at that time, when 10.12.1 wasn't even released. They may have been told by an Apple engineer that some bug would be fixed some time this year, and now wish they hadn't mentioned this deadline on their blog.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Or maybe Feral didn't actually know at that time, when 10.12.1 wasn't even released. They may have been told by an Apple engineer that some bug would be fixed some time this year, and now wish they hadn't mentioned this deadline on their blog.
I don't think it's as simple as a 'bug'. If it was, then I doubt if they would say the game is 'demanding' and taking longer than they anticipated.
I'm getting a horrible feeling of deja vu here.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
We are not talking about the time of the statement. We are talking about NOW, when 10.12.2 is in beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.