Deutsche Telekom Announcement Fuels Renewed Talk of Possible LTE-Advanced Support for iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Leading German carrier Deutsche Telekom today announced (via Macerkopf) the launch of its new LTE-Advanced or LTE+ network offering data speeds of up to a theoretical maximum 150 Mbps, with the network going live immediately in over 100 towns and cities in the country.

In the press release, Deutsche Telekom notes that Samsung is launching a new version of the Galaxy S4 with support for LTE-Advanced, and word that other LTE-Advanced devices are coming "at the end of September" is renewing speculation that the iPhone 5S might be one of those devices.
    Two months ago, a report surfaced claiming that Apple was in talks with Korea's SK Telecom about supporting LTE-Advanced on the iPhone 5S. At the time, we noted that it seemed unlikely Apple would be willing and able to add support to the iPhone 5S given the rarity of LTE-Advanced networks and that the company was only in the negotiation stages roughly two months before the device's debut.

With another leading carrier in a major market for Apple now launching LTE-Advanced, it seems that momentum is starting to build behind the technology and handset manufacturers are clearly lining up to support the standard. Apple has, however, traditionally been somewhat conservative in adopting new cellular technologies before they have widespread adoption, and so it remains to be seen whether Apple has plans to bring the latest LTE-Advanced support to the iPhone 5S later this month.

Article Link: Deutsche Telekom Announcement Fuels Renewed Talk of Possible LTE-Advanced Support for iPhone 5S

2. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

I'm guessing, no LTE-Advanced this year, but I'll happily eat my words, if I'm wrong.

3. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

LTE Advanced is the first TRUE 4G cellular technology. This is exciting! In the next few years our mobile data connections may be faster than our wired connections! Can't wait for AT&T to roll this out, as well as the other US carriers.

4. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

5. macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

6. macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

So glad to be on T-Mobile right now. And with all the overtime I've been working, it's likely I'll be able to get a 5S within the first week of its release :D

7. macrumors 68020

Doubt we won't see this until iPhone 6 at least.

8. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Wait, 4G will become a reality within my lifetime?

9. macrumors 603

I can't get excited. LTE is "good enough" to the point where I don't feel like I'm ever waiting for something (though, I never tether.). I would probably just end up turning LTE-A off in favor of better battery life.

10. macrumors 6502a

11. cmichaelb, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

macrumors 68000

cmichaelb

If Apple follows their usual pattern...

We will not see LTE+/Advanced until iPhone 6 at least.

-They held off on 3G at first.
    -The held off on LTE until lower power, smaller LTE chips were available.

They don't seem to rush into the new cellular technology until it's had some time to mature and become more widespread.

Hope I'm wrong though... :cool:

12. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

What's wrong with LTE??? It hasn't even been pushed. Some area's get 50Mbps but many area's are only 10-15 Mbps on AT&T...

13. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Over 18 Megabytes per second speeds on a phone. Wow.

14. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Uhhh... LTE-Advanced is supported in MDM9625 which I see no reason not to be in the iPhone 5S. This really isn't even news.

15. macrumors 6502a

You doubt we won't? Or doubt we will?

16. macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

This. If you can stream 1080p video on LTE (which I can and do), what's the point of LTE-A on a phone? The only thing I'd like is better latency, but even then you don't NEED it.

17. macrumors regular

Follow the Qualcomm baseband support, follow the iPhone cellular support. Anandtech is pretty good about following the Qualcomm roadmap, I'd start there if this is really going to happen.

18. macrumors 68000

60mb/sec on att in atl

19. macrumors member

LTE-Advanced? Jeez, I'd just be happy if in my area 2G was switched off completely and 3G was beefed up to give as-strong 2G coverage. Really, for most of my needs a strong 3.5G/3.75G connection is great.

20. macrumors regular

LTE+ already? I'm still stuck with GSM and GPRS connectivity. Will probably take me 5 min just to submit this message, but in Africa you learn to be patient.

21. macrumors regular

Hope is a pretty weak vibration though. If you reach for belief or knowing, then that's another thing.

22. macrumors regular

Lol, you beat me with a minute, guess your faster connection is paying off.

23. macrumors 6502a

yeah

Carrier aggregation (Binding two spectrum bands to create a super "highway" of data.)

Much more spectrum efficiency.

Etc..

24. macrumors 68020

Sorry, I'm guessing we won't see it until iPhone 6. Grammar was never my strong suit lol.

25. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not this year. 9625 very unlikely. Expect it to stay 9615.