Dev tools question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ooagentbender, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ooagentbender macrumors member

Ok so I have a jav project I have to do for school and unfortunately the dev tools I go from mac are a pain in the ass. I got it to compile but when I run it I just get a 1 in return which I assume means that it compiled but I would like to Run can anyone tell me how to set it up so I can thanks

2. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Are you using Project Builder?

Are you using Project builder?
    Its easy to compile and run a java project using Project Builder. Just select the third icon ( one with a hammer & a screen - Build & run executable toolbar icon) or from the menu Build Menu, select Build and Run ( cmd+r)..

there are simple IDEs out there - BlueJ or JJEdit which is easier to use than project builder.

Edit: Also, u can always use command line interface to compile a simple java program
    Open terminal.
    javac HelloWorld.java -> to compile
    java HelloWorld -> to run it.

good luck.

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Dev tools question

Sometimes that can be fixed by hitting the clean button, then rebuilding. Other times it means you messed up on your program. If you're using OS9, you're basically screwed. OS9's Java support is even worse than Windows' java support (I do Java dev on Windows at school, and OSX at home).

4. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

But the thing is the build succeds every time and I don't want to go through terminal all the time its a pain in the butt, it says the build succeded but then it gives me this

"TestSortedLink has exited with status 1."
    HELP

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

text, like a prompt for user inpu if you were making a basic adding machine you know the kind of stuff you do when your first learning java. I can't even get a hello world to come up.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's impossible for anyone to tell you what's going on based on how little info you've provided.

put the thing up in the debugger and trace it.

8. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

for thel ove of pete, IT COMPILES JUST FINE. There are no errors at all. It works fine when I run it in terminal but I want to Run it (not compile it) in Project Builder so that I can use the text based menu system I have set up in it.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT RUN not COMPILE.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

settle down cowboy. that's the first you've made that clear.

running a trace in a debugger IS a runtime thing, not a compiler thing.

fix yer attitude and the rest will follow. i don't let people talk to me like that when they pay me. good luck.

10. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

lol Im not mad Im just offended that evryone thinks im dumb enough not to know when a program hasn't compiled. And that was the only way I could get my point across excuse the caps.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Dev tools question

that's a load of crap. from your FIRST post:

you're not even sure.

now go through all these posts and show me where anyone suggests you don't know when something is compiled. it's not there.

i don't think you're dumb because of the compiler thing.

then i feel bad for you. others get their point across by not getting defensive and obstinate when they don't hear exactly what they want to, especially when they provide almost no information.

12. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I think that in order to run a java prog in the gui you have to use MRJappbuilder (in dev tools) or create a java project (with all the files necessary to run it in x. Not sure about this but I haven't been able to get simple java source to run in pb either. I'd just stick with the terminal, it's not that hard. If anyone knows how this might be done though, I'd love to know as well.
    (mrjappbuilder makes a java app double clickable)