Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
ha go to germany and u will enjoy 64 kb/s after 200-500 mb

Across the EU, it's 3-5GB for 19.99 Euros off-contract.
For Germany, that would be Congstar (T-Mobile; 3GB for 19.90 Euros), otelo (Vodafone; 3GB for 19.90 Euros), Blau.de (E-Plus; 19,80 Euro for 5GB but constantly throttled to 1-2MBit/s) and O2 loop (5GB for 25 Euros).

Last edited:

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
Before
LrGsU5A.jpg

After
xeAngLc.jpg

I ran it several times. (Installed at 6:05)
PUuLAqt.jpg

I for one am shocked. SHOCKED I tell you that a telecom would falsely advertise the speeds you can get.

I guess Apple or the carrier might also not even know what they are doing but this is pretty damning.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Just because a bunch of people are posting screenshots with high speeds doesn't mean that there isn't a throttling mechanism in place somewhere along the line.

If you honestly believe that carriers don't manage their networks by capping usage and throttling speeds to accommodate various levels of traffic, then there is no point in continuing the conversation.

People tend to have an extremely simplistic view of how carriers do what they do. In fact, it is extremely complicated. And yes, there are decisions that are made that prioritize infrastructure over dollars. If the infrastructure goes, then the dollars stop flowing.

The question is not "if", but "why?", "how?" and "how much?"

While I wouldn't trust any of the networks any further than I could throw them. I don't believe they would put themselves in a place that would lead to a very expensive class action lawsuit. Of course they manage their networks. No one has said otherwise. Limiting data speeds of their most profitable segment of phones makes no sense. It would only lead to disaster. I have a hard time believing they are that dumb. I do have to admit this IRS disaster is pretty dumb, but that's government and not the private sector. :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sure, as long as the carrier also proportionately refund me for discounting the service (what they actually provide vs. what they originally advertised).

Ok, so you prefer a system where the first 50% to reach the tower gets full speed and the second 50% gets totally screwed?

I'd prefer a "everybody gets half speed" system. Seems more useful to me.

M

Mr.damien

Don't we expect them to control the flow of data like that? They are providing and maintaining the network, this is a normal practice in many industries. It sounds to me like people are saying it is a bad or shady thing, but it isn't, it's a way to ensure availability of services... if you don't like the product, don't buy it.

Yeah that's normal that verizon sold me lte premium price and i get 3g bandwidth instead. Common practice... Of thiefs.

Should get a class action in their a$$

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
The ones I know (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile)?

100%

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I don't use cellular. I use VOIP. Does "Flat Rate" mean they can use as much data as they want and not be charged extra for it? Or does it mean something else? I seriously don't know. Hopefully you can explain this to me. Also, can you explain why so many people are posting screenshots of higher data speeds? :)

M

Mr.damien

Funny how many people desperately want this to be true, when simple logic says it doesn't make any sense. :)

My simple logic is:
- first two months lte verizon: i burnt 2 GB in two weeks.
- 6 months later, i can't manage to burn 2 GB anymore during an entire month even wifi disabled and the network feels like 3G

I just lowered my dataplan from 5 GB to 2Gb and will probably lower it to 1 GB next month if my data speed is not as fast as before...

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
That would not work if they do limit the phone to certain categories, because that limitation would happen before they even know what kind of traffic you are attempting to send/receive.
Ah, makes sense... I don't claim to be a celular engineer or know the fine details of how it works. Guess I was hoping for some darker conspiracy theory! :cool:

What if we all wear tin foil hats to stop them from "throttling" our brains? Sounds good to me. :eek:
HA! You must be a fellow Conspiracy Theorists United member!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't higher data speeds mean more data consumed? More data consumed means more money for the provider. Why would they want less money? Sounds a little fishy. What am I missing? I personally use VOIP and a MiFi device for phone and internet so am not real familiar with cellular billing. :)

You would think, but by that logic they shouldn't throttle you when you go over your data limit. It'll mean more money to them. In fact, for the people who chronically go over their limit, on the surface it would make more sense to speed up their data speeds. There must be another, more substantial, financial reason for carriers to throttle.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
My simple logic is:
- first two months lte verizon: i burnt 2 GB in two weeks.
- 6 months later, i can't manage to burn 2 GB anymore during an entire month even wifi disabled and the network feels like 3G

I just lowered my dataplan from 5 GB to 2Gb and will probably lower it to 1 GB next month if my data speed is not as fast as before...
Come to T-Mobile I burnt over 65Gb this month.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
The top two are the before and after for me, huge improvement with the hack, I'm very happy :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 79

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
You would think, but by that logic they shouldn't throttle you when you go over your data limit. It'll mean more money to them. In fact, for the people who chronically go over their limit, on the surface it would make more sense to speed up their data speeds. There must be another, more substantial, financial reason for carriers to throttle.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Well, the obvious explanation is that their networks cannot handle higher total throughput at present.

A conspiracy theory is that they want to gradually increase their percentage of Android users base since they earn more from each Android user than an iPhone user (the same monthly rate, less subsidy payout, less actual network usage).

Thanks, you're the only one who has taken the time to make a sensible reply. :)

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
Come to T-Mobile I burnt over 65Gb this month.

I would like to see someone do road tests with T-Mobile. To tourist areas and fly over states. In the past they were total dog **** for me in those areas while last Easter week in Disney World my AT&T data and phone service worked pretty damn good even in the park. Verizon users in the family had ****** service though. Their only advantage was rides with lines deep inside a building worked better for data. Still couldn't make a call though but I could.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Don't carriers have the right to manage networks as they see fit? Not everything can run full speed, all the time.

----------

Ok, so you prefer a system where the first 50% to reach the tower gets full speed and the second 50% gets totally screwed?

I'd prefer a "everybody gets half speed" system. Seems more useful to me.

Anyone managing a high-capacity network likely limits speeds like this. I don't see the problem.

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
Don't carriers have the right to manage networks as they see fit? Not everything can run full speed, all the time.

It is one thing to manage the network. It is a whole another thing to hard cap the speed in a configuration file and then advertise otherwise. Traffic shaping is done on the fly and as needed. These hard caps in the carrier file are a blatant lie from what you are told when you buy it.

Basically one is sensible and dynamic while one is static and in conflict what promised. They told you get the best but in reality you don't. Ever.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
okay...

It is one thing to manage the network. It is a whole another thing to hard cap the speed in a configuration file and then advertise otherwise. Traffic shaping is done on the fly and as needed. These hard caps in the carrier file is a blatant lie from what you are told when you buy it.

This whining is getting really, really old. All carriers do it, deal with it.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Why is no one addressing the root of how ridiculous this article is?

That's not throttling. They just don't use DC-HSPA+, and many areas are running at 14.4. And that's not an iPhone thing, that's the whole network.

That guy is an idiot, and that article doesn't even make any sense. He says, after saying they use 14.4 HSDPA not 21, that they throttle LTE. WTF? LTE has nothing to do with HSPA+. Two separate networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.