Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
DVD? Surely it'd fit onto a CD. There are around 700 NES games, each one between 8kb-1mb.
Strictly speaking, yes. But if you include unlicensed games, special editions, limited runs, Famicom, NTSC and PAL variations, technician test carts, and known hacks, then you approach the 4.7GB of a DVD.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Virus is right. Did a factory dvd format and install vista on a dell 530 and went to cnet and downloaded easeus partition manager.
Installed using advance and skipped the bloat ware. Within a few minute some fake malware app said I had a virus called easeus and chromium was also installed. Couldn't remove either.
I'm so glad I have a Mac. Even if it doesn't support el capitan.

So you are saying you have a legit version of vista, and just after installing it, you found malware on your machine. Not buying it.

Enjoy your Mac.

Reactions: 3NV7 and AFEPPL

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I hope they give the Aluminium version a Sapphire screen next time, I hate the weight of the Steel version, but man my Sport Apple Watch has a screen that's scratched to ****.

The aluminum version will never see a sapphire screen. You mentioned you did not like the weight of the stainless steel, in which case I love the heft with mine. The sapphire screen is really worth the purchase, as my screen has zero scratches, even after all it's been through. Perhaps Apple might introduce additional casings, such as an titanium model, which is light and durable, with a sapphire screen.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Bless, you still associate Windows with viruses in 2016.... That joke just keeps on giving !

I think it's awesome that you can run a full OS on a watch.

This isn't about a 2016 OS, it's about Windows 95. Even Microsoft acknowledges that Windows 95 is an easy target for viruses, so much so in fact that they recommend it not be used for real-world tasks. Nothing about the post to which you replied suggests that the poster associates modern versions of Windows with viruses.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
So an apple watch will run a full desktop OS before the iPad pro. Nice

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This isn't about a 2016 OS, it's about Windows 95. Even Microsoft acknowledges that Windows 95 is an easy target for viruses, so much so in fact that they recommend it not be used for real-world tasks. Nothing about the post to which you replied suggests that the poster associates modern versions of Windows with viruses.

Someone went to the effort of putting a full OS on a watch, which is impressive, how is carrying on about viruses relevant? Viruses / 2016 is irrelevant .

Reactions: 3NV7

_mdavenport

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
California, USA
image.jpeg

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
So you are saying you have a legit version of vista, and just after installing it, you found malware on your machine. Not buying it.

Enjoy your Mac.
"Within a few minutes" might be an exaggeration, but I can buy it. There are malicious bots, servers, and port scanners out there just waiting to find a unprotected computer to compromise. Try installing a virtualized copy of Vista or earlier, I think you might be surprised how quickly it gets infected with malware.

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
This video was as painful to watch as using Windows 95 and/or opening most apps on my Apple Watch.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
In my experience, games as simple as Breakout and Pong are laggy on my Apple watch and they are written natively to WatchOS so I think your, "more capable of running them", comment is a highly optimistic. I think the emulation software would bring to run NES, Atari, etc would bring it to it's knees much like this Win95 demo did.
The Apple Watch's S1 has a 520MHz 32-bit CPU with 32KB L1 cache, 256KB L2 cache, 512MB RAM, a PowerVR SGX543 GPU (same GPU as the iPhone 4s or PS Vita with one core instead of two/four and a lower clock rate) with shared VRAM, and needs to push enough pixels to fill a 312×390 screen on the larger model.

The NES has a 1.8MHz 8-bit CPU with 2KB RAM and maybe a 1KB more in a cartridge and a 2D GPU with an effective 284 bytes of L1 cache and 2KB VRAM, which needs to push 256x240 pixels of screen, plus some possible coprocessors in cartridges.

The SNES has a 3.6MHz 16-bit CPU, 128KB RAM, 64K sound RAM, possibly some extra RAM in the cartridge, a 2D 3.6MHz 16-bit GPU, up to 32MB of rapidly accessible ROM data, and with outboard chips maybe a 21MHz 16-bit 3D GPU or a 10MHz CPU.

And that takes us through 1990. Even the PS1 only has a 34MHz 32-bit CPU, 2MB RAM, and a 3D GPU with 1MB VRAM capable of rendering way less polygons than the PowerVR SGX543.

Overhead of WatchOS itself (a very stripped down version of UNIX), or background tasks (networking, timekeeping, health input tracking, etc), or an inefficient method of drawing graphics, or inefficient game-specific APIs available to native apps, or any number of other reasons specific to software may and probably would prevent the S1 from actually running an emulated or native version of an NES or SNES game at full performance.

But in terms of the hardware itself--which is what I was talking about, since this is a purely hypothetical "look what computing can do now"--the Apple Watch is ridiculously more powerful than any game system available through the 16-bit and even the PS1/N64 era, so if your goal was to run every game made through 1990 on the hardware and you had the resources to program the thing at a low level, you most certainly could.

For that matter, if you were to be able to code a native version of Windows 95 for it (rather than one running in software emulation), to replace WatchOS, I'm quite sure you could get it to run as well as it did on a computer from 1995. Actually, since Windows NT4 could run on multiple CPU architectures including RISC ones, it'd be a better target for a port in this hypothetical world where Microsoft wanted to dust off an ancient OS and port it to ARM.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
This video was as painful to watch as using Windows 95 and/or opening most apps on my Apple Watch.

Maybe. But this video depicts how powerful of a Gen 1 Watch this truly is. Your talking a full PC in the palm of your hand. It some respects, the Apple Watch is under-rated. Processor and Watch OS updates can easily remedy lag issues in the future.

Reactions: rbrian

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
Nope. Doesn't need to. Over-rated.
[doublepost=1462059808][/doublepost]

I would not call 316L stainless steel luxury. More so an upgrade or refined piece of high polished stainless steel.
But, it is more luxurious and higher quality than light weight aluminum. Most luxury watches do not use aluminum materials.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
"Within a few minutes" might be an exaggeration, but I can buy it. There are malicious bots, servers, and port scanners out there just waiting to find a unprotected computer to compromise. Try installing a virtualized copy of Vista or earlier, I think you might be surprised how quickly it gets infected with malware.

Mate, running a PC, unprotected is daft, and not realistic, given Windows defender is excellent and free, and you don't even notice it running.

Look does not matter, when it comes to these matters, lot of people don't use common sense and are adamant that Windows is still awful and is 100% guaranteed a virus in 2016, ignorance is bliss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.