Developer: PS3 = 360, no to Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Stolen from DailyTech:

If memory serves, this is pretty much what GFLPraxis (and others) have been saying all along. So, kudos to them.

Discuss, berate, flame, invalidate or whatever floats your boat.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Twin Snakes was a nice remake and Eternal Darkness was an alright game (though never pushed enough to finish it). Good developer but with Prime 3, TP and Smash Bros Brawl coming out I don't care what happens to much else in the gaming world :D

I can't stand all this resolution jazz though. As the developer says - there are trade offs. Please someone wake me up when games consoles are running fluid in 1080p. when it's the damn standard.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

It probably never will be; eventually people will get bored with 1080p and electronics companies will want to pack their wallets further, and then the new "standard" will be 1400p (or something) and we'll see a mass exodus of people buying new tvs and media players to get back on the "cutting edge". :)

4. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

/me raises hand.

"My name is Abulia and I am a tech whore." ;)

Hopefully once the push to digital is complete (a decade from now?) things will be easier. This transition we're in right now is rough, trying to move from analog to digital.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Technology is constantly evolving.

As for the usual PS3/360/Wii arguments. I'm sick of hearing them at this stage.

:eek:

In communist ideology. All consoles would be treated equally ......

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

7680p :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I (sorta) used to be myself, but now we're too broke to cater to my affliction. :D
    LOL guess it's better for me that way

Good grief!
    Suddenly I'm reminded of a time when, in 1981, Bill Gates said [about memory] "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Now you're in hell with less than 512 megs. :D

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Wouldn't that be a tech John? You're the one paying the money, right? ;)

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup, pretty much...

Hopefully this kills off the Cell hype. I like the PS3 as much as the next guy (what does that even mean?) and will buy one when the price drops eventually, but the Cell hype has GOT to stop. I still see people running around proclaiming that the Cell is a "supercomputer" and will blow away everything in the universe on some boards (thankfully it's mostly stopped here, but it still comes up in some rare threads with people thinking Apple will switch back to PowerPC for Cell...yeah, right).

Yes, the Cell has certain advantages when properly utilized, but it's not 1000x better than the 360. You will not be able to tell an XBox 360 and PS3 game apart by watching a trailer or looking at screenshots.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just makes you want to slap some sense into them ;)

I've said all along the PS3 & 360 will be pretty much even. With some multiformat games being better on the 360 (apparently Rainbow 6 vegas is according to the developers) than PS3... and some will be Vice Versa...

It's the exclusive titles that will pursuade people to swing one way - or the other - or in a lot of our cases, we'll swing both way... :D :D

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Poor PS3... I thought it at least had more power than Xbox360

I hate how Sony is ruining the PlayStation with these PS3, spend millions of dollars, delay the release one year, use extremely new and undeveloped technologies, all for what? crappy games (which even if you do like, the X360 has them too anyways) and all developers flocking to x360 and not very much of them saying PS3 actually has a tangible performance difference...

I thought the difference this gen was going to be like Xbox>PS2 is the hardware department but in favor of Sony's PS3 but it really doesn't look like it will be that way... hmm maybe there is more to be seen but I'm afraid Sony's console might turn out to be a failure. Sony is doing EVERYTHING wrong.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is a segment at gametrailers.com (make sure you are watching episode 2) where a developer talks about how 3rd parties will pretty much give the PS3 and the 360 the same game because there is no incentive for them to make a "bigger" build for the PS3. So it looks like only PS3 exclusive titles will try to take advantage of the things that Sony says make the PS3 a superior console (such as Blu-ray).

Lethal

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Would be nice if these direct conversions could be put on DVD so us consumers would pay less. 360 games are going for £40 here now. PS3 for £50.
    Be nice if PS3 DVD games were 40 and BluRay at 50. but no. even the smallest games will be on BluRay. Because that's clever.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I love how the propaganda in the thread title bears no relation to the article!

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You must be reading a different article than I am… or just not paying attention. :p

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

"In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"

17. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I did it just for you.

18. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I doubt if it will be the standard for quite a while. 1080p TVs arent even the standard in high def tv's yet and though there are alot more 1080p TVs than there were 6 months ago I doubt if it will be the standard for all HDTVs with in the next 2 years. TV stations dont even brodcast in 1080p and I havent heard that any have plans at all (or if its even practical/possible). I would love for 1080p to be the standard, 1080p looks amazing (atleast on the Mitsubishi I viewd it on), I have a 1080p TV, but unfourtunately until I obtain a blue ray drive I will not have seen it on my TV.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Nice avatar MRU, lol Feels like the 1980's all over again.

This battle will rage on though, GoW just came out "WOW! its the best looking console game ever!" Then <insert future PS3 killer ap> "WOW! NOW THIS IS THE BEST EVER!", then Halo 3 "ZOMG!!! PS3 SUXX0R n PHAILZ, 360 = W1N!11!1!!!!!!!11", Then <insert PS3 killer ap> " ZOMG x 101!!1! PS3 RULZ!!!"....you get the idea.

20. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

April 2008 all TV goes digital.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Going from analog to digital is the simple part. How many people have video game consoles, DVD players, or digital cable boxes hooked up to their analog TVs? It's the transition from standard def to high def that's the killer. And when we transition from HD to UHD (or whatever sometime in the future) it will be just as painful as the move from SD to HD is today.

The date got pushed back to Feb. 17, 2009 for analog b'casts to end. There'll still be a ton of existing analog TV sets and the government mandate on the consumer end is just that X amount of TVs above a certain size available for sale have to be able to receive a digital signal (not necessarily HD, but just digital). Existing analog sets will need a converter box to receiver the digital OTA (over the air) signals, but if you already have cable or satellite then no worry's 'cause, just like today, your cable box will take the digital feed and convert it to analog.

Lethal

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its more like 1917 my comrade ;)

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What the hell are we talking about here...I know I'm late to the party and MRU is russian now but damn guys I only went away for a week.

Note: I don't get the "no to wii" part.

Bless

24. ericsthename macrumors regular

Haha, no, in communist ideology gaming consoles would not exist - as they only serve as part of the "opium of the people" that is entertainment and religion.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hang on. Is this the same as some developers saying "yes to Wii, no to 360 and PS3"? or "yes to DS no to PSP"?