Developer suspects Facebook app is behind iPhone battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentPanda, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/04/developer-suspects-facebook-app-is-behind-iphone-battery-drain/

Might be worth shutting down those Facebook apps when you're not using them if true.

2. macrumors regular

this would make sense as to why after the last couple of updates, my phone seems to drain very fast. Guess it's time to start manually shutting this app down!

3. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The wife was complaining about battery drain recently as well. Going to try and just remove her facebook app and see the difference in a week.

But the findings make sense as for a cause.

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I believe you just need to ensure you close the app instead of "minimize" it in order to prevent the battery drain. No need to uninstall it.

5. macrumors 6502a

There could be some truth to this.

I have a jailbroken iphone 5 and with the battery doctor app I have set it to autoclose all apps/background apps when I lock the phone.

I've tested it and sure enough all other apps get closed but facebook is still there when I unlock.

(It's not in the whitelist)

6. macrumors regular

its called FB constantly pinging you for information.

**** the app. use the mobile website.

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

I'm actually thinking this is true. Since tonight I've made it a point to close out the app every time I use it. It's 11:39pm my time and the phone has been unplugged since 9pm or so. I'm currently at 94% where usually I would be in the low 80%s by now. I'm definitely gonna keep trying to test this.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

Here's another screen shot of where I'm at now. Unbelievable. All from closing out Facebook and that's it.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

This is why I fully close apps instead of just minimizing. No battery problems on my iPhone 5 :)

10. macrumors 68030

I tried it and you're absolutely right... Well, luckily there's a simple solution: turn off the smart whitelist option :) I just e-mailed them asking for some kind of blacklist option to force kill apps in the background even if they're active.

11. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I disagree. Its facebook. Uninstalling it is the only way to ensure she's safe. :D

12. cRuNcHiE, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I've noticed now that it does close facebook a little while after locking. Why it isn't instant like others I don't know but it's definitely improved my battery life!

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 6502a

Shockwave78

Due to various reasons i have restored and set up as a new phone about 5 times this week. I am doing another as I type this. I will hold off on installing Facebook and see what happens. Will report back.

14. macrumors 6502a

So far this is looking to be true.

15. macrumors 65816

Risco

16. macrumors 6502

This has to be true; after I read it a few days ago, I started force quitting the Facebook app whenever I used it and my battery has improved tremendously back to when I got the iP5.

17. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

thats exactly what im saying. i started doing this yesterday starting at a full charge and only a few days after a full restore. so far so good.

18. macrumors newbie

I came to make a new thread about why my battery life's been crap the past week or so. I'm definitely trying this starting immediately.

I'm currently at 8 total hours, 2:35 usage and at 26 percent battery.

19. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

thats horrible. i was around the same times last night and still in the 80's.

20. macrumors 65816

My phone is on charge right now. However I am going to make sure I close facebook app too now. Has anyone contacted facebook regarding this or have they commented themselves regarding this?

21. macrumors 68020

sviato

FB's messenger app also drains batter like a motherfather

22. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

yea right. they wont do squat about it.

23. thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That's noted in the article.

They may change it, but it's intentional at the moment. Not intentionally draining your battery, but it's intentionally not going to sleep when in the background.

24. macrumors regular

Oh wow, this is big news if so. I was wondering why my phone seemed to be draining more quickly than usual! I'll have to give this a shot.

25. macrumors 6502a

Just delete that piece of crap of an app. It's slow, buggy and stupid. Mobile web version is much much better to use.