Developer Tools, etc.?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yakisoba, Jul 5, 2004.

1. yakisoba macrumors member

I have a 15" PB on its way (hope to have it by the end of the week). Can anybody tell me if the Developer Tools are already installed on it? And for that matter, what CDs do you receive with a Powerbook? All of the OS X CDs or is it some kind of "restore set" like you get with a lot of PC laptops, that basically contains a compressed image of an entire filesystem?

Thanks in advance.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From what I've seen, there is a directory called something like "installers" under Applications which contains the development tools installer.

Normally, with the retail version, there is a separate CD-ROM for the tools.

3. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Dev Tools

I just bought a PB about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't find the dev tools already installed, maybe I just looked in the wrong place (I am new to macs) although they weren't where I was told so I just went and got them myself.
    You can download them by going to apple's developer's website and just signing up for membership. Then once you are a member you can download the tools for free. The link with signup info is here. You can get the free membership and still download the tools, also students can get a discount on one of the paid level memberships for $100 bucks (this also includes a one time discount of about 20% off a hardware purchase).
    Also your computer might come with the third CD which is the Dev tools... either way one of these ways should work. Best of luck,

JRam

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Thats absolutely correct. You would have the installers folder. Also, with the pb, wll the software would be on the dvd too.

cheers

5. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I appreciate it! So does that mean that I will get a bootable DVD that can restore the PB to factory fresh on demand? I intend to do a lot of tinkering with the Darwin underbelly, and want to make sure that I have a safety net.

Thanks again for your help.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Yah, that's correct.

cheers