Developer tools on install disks....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Togglehead, May 3, 2006.

1. Togglehead macrumors 6502

im assuming there is a compiler included in this package...no?

How can i install the developer tools off of the OS X disks, without reinstalling OS X? Can i?

am i talking complete gibberish?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, you can always fetch them from here, but they're on the OS X DVD - put it in and you should see (don't have it right here) an optional or additional or some such folder with the developer tools in it.

No need to reinstall OS X at all. It's just on the OS X DVD. Install X11 while you've got it in....

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Developer Tools includes several compilers and the X-Code development environment along with various other utilities useful for developers. The Developer Tools package can either be downloaded from Apple or installed from your OS X disks.

Installing Developer Tools from your OS X disks just means putting the disk in the drive, opening the DVD and finding the Developer Tools installer and running it. A OS X installer DVD has a few other installers on the disk that are not connected with the OS X installation process.

If you have a high speed internet connection then you are probably much better off downloading Developer Tools from the Apple site since Developer Tools gets updated fairly frequently. The only drawback is that Developer Tools is a large download.

4. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

hey sorry for the lack of info...

Im running Panther, and i have CD's, not DVD's.

X11 IS installed....but i checked off developer tools, so it wouldnt install...i need the HDD space.

I downlaoded xcode the other day....this is tha same as whats on the disk?

5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

With Panther CD's the Developer Tools are on a separate CD and were not part of the OS X install. If you downloaded XCode and installed it then the downloaded version will be a more recent version of the Developer Tools on your install disks.

6. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502