Development Team Led by John Gruber Releases New Note-Taking App Vesper

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Vesper is a new note taking app that also incorporates to-do elements, allowing users to capture thoughts, tasks, and ideas quickly and efficiently. The app comes from newly minted company Q Branch, which includes Apple blogger John Gruber, developer Brent Simmons, and designer Dave Wiskus.

Vesper offers a simplistic user interface that focuses on both quick input and customizable organization, utilizing tags to group items into collections. As the app description states, Vesper allows users to organize and curate notes in "whatever way comes naturally."

[​IMG]
    MacStories has published a detailed review of Vesper, comparing it to several other note taking apps available:
    In addition to offering tags for organizational purposes, Vesper also incorporates drag and drop functionality to allow users to rearrange notes and older notes can be archived with a swipe for storage to create an uncluttered inbox. Both the archive and notes that have been tagged and arranged can then be accessed from the sidebar.

The app supports photos in addition to text, along with an in-app browser. It does not, however, support syncing as it is currently limited to the iPhone.

Vesper can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Development Team Led by John Gruber Releases New Note-Taking App Vesper

2. applefanDrew, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

macrumors 65816

If there is anybody that knows how iOS 7 apps will look, it's Gruber. So, I think this is a good representation of iOS 7. And it's what 9to5 Mac reported, black, white, and flat all over with a single color to designate what app you're in.

3. macrumors 68000

If it doesn't sync with my iPad and Mini, then it's not for me! :(

4. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Bought it - very clean and fast. I'm hoping for cross-platform sync so it can effectively never give me a reason to use Notes.app again.

5. macrumors 601

HiRez

Countdown to MGM/UA lawsuit in 3...2...1...

6. macrumors 6502

Can we please stop saying "simplistic" when we apparently mean "simple"? The two words don't mean the same thing. MacRumors, if you're going to characterize a new product like this as "simplistic," then please at least say what you think is wrong with it. And if it indeed is simplistic, why report its release?

7. macrumors regular

That post about a $5 app not being expensive makes more sense all of a sudden.

8. macrumors 603

nfl46

Welcome iOS 7! Of course he knows how it looks.

9. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Clean designs are pretty, but my brain is begging for some dividing lines.

10. macrumors 68000

Form over function and without any clear indicators as to what is clickable and what is not. I honestly hope there is more to the iOS redesign than this, otherwise it is purely a step backwards in terms of usability.

11. macrumors 601

HiRez

Yes, interesting timing.

12. macrumors 68030

tkermit

I'd be sort of underwhelmed if that turned out to be true (just going by the screenshots posted here – can't say anything about the UX beyond that)

13. CJK
    macrumors member

Form over function is what Apple is all about these days, unfortunately. :(

14. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Looks and sounds interesting, but if it's aiming to replace the built in Notes app, I should probably wait and see if iOS 7 changes Notes and see if this still seems as appealing next week.

15. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

(In before discussion of flatness) --OH WAIT! Many people have already jumped the gun. :p

I love how this thread will become about the iOS 7 UI design and not the actual app featured here. I love it. . :rolleyes:

16. macrumors regular

rneglia

Waiting for iOS 7?

Maybe they didn't want to launch it with the buggy iOS 6 iCloud syncing and then have to re-vamp it after WWDC. My guess is their plan is to get it out to a bunch of Fireballers this week, and then open the suggestion box to their friends next week, after they see what Apple's going to do about Core Data/iCloud syncing in iOS 7, yadda yadda.

17. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I think the intended word was "minimalistic"

18. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

It looks great, but even with Gruber's name attached to it, they may find it hard to get people to spend $5 for it when there's already Simplenote that's free and organizes by tag.

19. macrumors 65816

You're thinking in 2007 terms. People today have adapted to the smartphone era. We no longer need it spelled out in such obvious ways as rich design. This simple, clean design is much better looking and does not sacrifice usability.

20. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Winner!
    Winner!
    Chicken Dinner!

There had to be a reason for his post yesterday and this has to be it. I would also agree that this may be a good indication of iOS 7. Not sure I'm totally thrilled, but again, gotta leave some room for the actual release before I pass judgement.

When I saw this I wondered what his thoughts were when making this. I feel like we've seen this all before and now you're asking users of things like Evernote (for example) to migrate to this when it can't sync to all iOS devices? Am I wrong about the syncing?

As for pimping your app, I don't know why you can't do that. There is a forum for it. Not defending mods, that is seriously not my forte, but I thought there was a place for that here.

21. sza
    macrumors regular

If iOS 7 will look like this, I will say Apple falls behind MS (Metro). Though I think the flat design doesn't mean anything. It is just a different look, why not create couple of themes and let user pick...

22. macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Not outside the realm of possibilities with the way apple has updated the API of UI objects to allow for more global appearance customizations in the more recent iOS versions... But I wouldn't bet on it.

23. macrumors 68040

iSee

No Sync? No thanks.
    I hope that's temporary until they have, e.g., clients for other platforms to sync with.

Interesting, though.
    With those names behind it, it will get massive exposure and piles of fawning reviews even if the app was crap (not saying it is).

I'm actually OK with Apple's note app, especially if they get rid of the yellow lined paper background and the goofy font.

24. GoCubsGo, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013

macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is overpriced if it costs more than others and doesn't sync. Not syncing is absolutely silly. By now, every app like this should sync and Gruber of all people should not release an app that I believe he would blast if not for his name on it.

People are going to forgive him because he is Gruber. I'm a fan of him, not of this BS app.

25. macrumors 68040

What is wrong with Simplenote? It syncs with all kinds of platform, it's free, it has a quite simplistic UI?

Not that this app might not be better, but if you like this app better than Notes, I would assume, you also would like Simplenote better than Notes.