Deviantart Scam: Takes Money, Publishing, Bans 2000 Users and Runs

Discussion in 'Community' started by TommyLee, Mar 28, 2004.

1. TommyLee macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    New Orleans
    #1 Where do I even begin to start?
    Well here's a kicker!

What kind of artist would consciously give up their publishing rights??
    That's why it's hidden deep into the legalese. That's why they ban users from the site, when you know to much about it. That why the only users left on the site are 18 year old stoners that don't know any better.

And there's so-so much more. From spam email lists- to spyware, lies- I could fill a book. Plus, every other day the site crashes.
    To date: has banned over 1000 paid users, and 80 deviantprints users.
    That's $25,000 right there.

What do you think about deviantART?
  2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Well even without readding the TOS, which is not really that hard to understand, you have to know that by uploading your art to a public site you are giving the site the rights to reproduce it. That's how it's shared. And by making it public in an electronic format anyone that can download it, can reproduce it. This is the same reason RIAA goes after the people that SHARE music, not the ones that are downloading. So if you consent to share, you lose any exclusive publishing rights.

All that aside, I don't know anything about fees or user banning. I've never given DA a cent, and it's never required me to pay them to use the site. so happy day :)
  3. TommyLee thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    New Orleans
    But these are the same people that ban the RIAA. (How does that work?)

Like I said- I'm just scratching the surface...
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    ...and other 18 year olds (such as myself) that dislike/hate stoners, Deviant[F]ART, and Deviant[F]ART-user-bashers. :mad:

Well, I mean, it's not all that hard to use. For example, if you check out my newbie guide to DeviantART, you'll see that it's not too bad of a site after all.

Because the same people that support music piracy don't have the same moods about art piracy. (Is there not such a thing?)