Device connecting To AirPort Extreme But Not Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by parkds, Nov 26, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hi there,
    I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I have a new device that I am trying to get onto my exiting Airport Extreme (3rd Gen / Dual Band) network. The device (a Nest Thermostat) is being assigned a proper IP address by my router (192.168.1.3x) and is seeing the router's location at 192.168.1.1. Therefore I am pretty confident that the device is actually on my network, but it is not able to communicate with the Nest servers on the internet. I have also checked the URL the nest is trying to phone home to on a computer, to make sure it is not an issue with my ISP (it is not). I have tried forwarding the needed ports without success and have spent about 2 hours on the phone with Nest tech support. Does anyone have any ideas why a device would connect to my Airport Extreme, be properly assigned an IP address, but not be able to connect to the internet?

Thanks so much!
    Doug

2. macrumors newbie

Nest connecting To AirPort Extreme But Not Internet

I have this exact problem with my new Nest - did you ever resolve this issue?

Thanks,
    Steve

3. macrumors member

If devices are connecting but not getting out to the web I would look closer at the DNS/gateway. Try accessing a site via the IP address and not the DNS name. e.g. google = 74.125.225.133

4. macrumors regular

If your other devices are working I would consider calling nest. Seems another user had a similar problem.

5. macrumors member

Again, this sounds very much like it could be a DNS issue. At a minimum, test what I suggested earlier to rule that out as a possibility.

6. macrumors newbie

Nest connecting To AirPort Extreme But Not Internet

This has turned out to be a problem on the Nest server end ... after much nashing of teeth, Airport Extreme firmware reloads, wi-fi topology changes, Nest restarts etc - and apparently enough other user complaints - all my Nests can now suddenly get their software update and otherwise be managed remotely.

Thanks all.