device manager unknown

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shogokuma, Nov 27, 2006.

1. shogokuma macrumors member

shogokuma

on my iMac 20'' (core 2 duo)

in device manager there is an unrecognize pci thing i wonder what it is everithng seems to be working

in windows xp pro sp2

2. drval macrumors member

Nothing per se is wrong, it's just that Apple hasn't yet written the device drivers for some devices.

3. shogokuma thread starter macrumors member

shogokuma

so if i was to update in windows update that would not really hel because apple has not updated? how does that work because its so confusing to try ans search for drivers in windows for the imac if you know what i mean.:confused:

4. CTSxViper macrumors regular

That is correct. Apple has not finished all the drivers. Windows update does nothing to correct the problem, as I have all the updates.

5. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

IIRC, it is for the IR receiver for the Apple remote. Nothing to worry about.

6. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Yeah I get that "Unknown PCI Device" too and Windows keeps badgering me about it. Ugh. I wish CS3 was out already.

7. shogokuma thread starter macrumors member

shogokuma

oh really the apple remote?

is there a way to use it with windows media center?

8. LeviG macrumors 65816

to TheBobcat - you should be able to "disable" the pci device in the device manager (control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager and then right click on pci device and select disable.

Windows update doesnt usually touch drivers, the only option that looks at missing devices is if you say yes to windows checking online when you install/update drivers. If you go update drivers instead of disable in device manager you should get the option to check online, it may be worth saying yes, doesnt always work but no harm in trying if you havent already