Device Removal Warning After Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fenway824, Oct 9, 2006.

1. fenway824 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I added an external hard drive to my G4 desktop running Panther. I don't have any automated backup programme running. Yet every time I wake up my computer after sleep I get a device removal warning even though I have disconnected nothing. Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What kind of drive is it and how is it connected? I just an external Maxtor drive on mine connected via the Firewire connector and never see this behavior. I can leave the computer plugged in and running for days and not have the hard drive dismount.

Check to see if the drive is going into sleep mode after no use and thereby disconnecting.

3. fenway824 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Device Removal After Sleep

It's an Iomega USB. Actually, I should add I've also had this same problem when I leave flash drives plugged in and my computer goes to sleep. When I used to use zip drives, this never occurred.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It happens with USB/firewire drives....sometime when you wake the computer up it takes a little bit longer for the external to mount again and the computer sees it as it being disconnected wrong but it will mount itself once again. My LaCie drive does it sometimes.

Bless

5. fenway824 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there ever any data loss?

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Never lost data but if you are worried about it make sure that you back up your files:)

Bless