Device with double of the iPhone resolution shows up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adildacoolset, Jan 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What would be the point of a retina+ display? The whole point of a retina display is that you cant distinguish between individual pixels with the naked eye.

3. macrumors 68000

Silly, just plain silly.

4. macrumors 601

Larger screen?

5. macrumors 65816

Precisely. We don't even need 720p displays, let alone Retina+ or whatever that is.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Possibly, but I don't want it to be a galaxy S3 screen. 4.3"-4.6" is the upper limit for me.

And I honestly doubt it as well. Why use significantly more battery for a change that will be nearly imperceptible to the user?

7. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Could it be a new iPad mini? Pixel doubling is the easiest way to get a retina display, but it isn't the only way, and iPad mini already has a higher pixel density (due to the smaller size) than the iPad 2 with the same resolution, and therefore needs a smaller improvement to be retina. They already shook things up with the taller iPhone 5 screen, maybe they're ready to fragment iPads too?

8. macrumors 6502a

The math works out for a retina mini - 2272x1280 on a 7.9 screen is 330 ppi.

9. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I was hoping somebody would do the math, thanks! But at 16:9, is it likely? What else could it be?

10. macrumors 6502a

I think so. Why not?

The current ipad mini is basically just an ipad 2 - from its screen res to its SoC.

If you're going to make a retina one, why not start anew? Why not choose a res that's exactly double that of the iphone. Kinda makes sense to me.

But, who nose?

11. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

There was lots of talk of filing down fingertips and 40% more area going with a 4:3 screen rather than 16:9, so I don't think anybody is expecting a widescreen iPad. An iPad mini with retina display is inevitable, however. Maybe it'll be 4:3 for most apps, with the black bar at the bottom being used for soft buttons, then use the whole screen for widescreen video? Speculation is fun, but I can't wait to see what's announced next!

12. macrumors 68000

I'd say no. Unless they move all the iPads to 16:9, which would be really dumb. Developers would all have to redesign their apps, and the tablet would look goofy in portrait. If they are going to retina-ize the Mini, it'll be the same resolution as the retina iPad.

13. macrumors 6502

They may double the resolution to make up to a 5 inch phone to compete with the Droid DNA and it's crazy pixel density.