Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
So about this Wi-fi syncing... how am I supposed to add a song from my computer and not iTunes now? Or my home made ringtone and etc. I have to connect it to iTunes with USB in order to show the "devices list" so I can add songs to "Music" and etc.

Is there any option in iTunes that will always show the devices list? I searched and looked but didn't found nothing...

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
So about this Wi-fi syncing... how am I supposed to add a song from my computer and not iTunes now? Or my home made ringtone and etc. I have to connect it to iTunes with USB in order to show the "devices list" so I can add songs to "Music" and etc.

Is there any option in iTunes that will always show the devices list? I searched and looked but didn't found nothing...

You misunderstand. Wifi syncing is syncing to your computers iTunes without needing a cord. For example, phone is in your back pack. It has been set to sync over Wifi. Now you open up iTunes on your computer. The iPhone will show up in the device list (assuming its on the same Wifi network). Its the EXACT same as with the cord only without the cord.

You are referring to iTunes in the cloud. But it doesn't work like that. You are just able to see all your music and apps and books on the iDevice and download them if you want to without needing the computer.

You use both together.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Yes, I get that, but my phone won't show up on the devices list even though they are in the same wifi. Because I have my own music from cd for example that I would like to add to my iPhone but can't because it won't show up on devices list. But when I connect it with the USB cord, it shows up.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Yes, I get that, but my phone won't show up on the devices list even though they are in the same wifi. Because I have my own music from cd for example that I would like to add to my iPhone but can't because it won't show up on devices list. But when I connect it with the USB cord, it shows up.

Connect via USB cord. When it shows up, click on the iPhone. Make sure you are on the summary tab. At the bottom under options, make sure to select Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi. Once check, hit apply at the bottom right. Now disconnect the cord and you will see the iPhone remaining in the device list.

herman bloom

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Connect via USB cord. When it shows up, click on the iPhone. Make sure you are on the summary tab. At the bottom under options, make sure to select Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi. Once check, hit apply at the bottom right. Now disconnect the cord and you will see the iPhone remaining in the device list.

OK, so that options simply does not show up under my summary page. And yes, I have the newest itunes and ios 5 installed on my devices.

Do I need to be running Lion for this?

Frustrating.....

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
OK, so that options simply does not show up under my summary page. And yes, I have the newest itunes and ios 5 installed on my devices.

Do I need to be running Lion for this?

Frustrating.....

Minimum 10.6.8 i am pretty sure. so no, not lion but latest SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.