DHL: Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Mar 9, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last weekend, I dropped my PowerBook off at the Apple Store for repair. They shipped it out, and then it shipped out today via DHL back to the Apple Store so I can pick it up whenever. And I've been checking the tracking page religiously. Well.....it left Houston at 3:30 PM today. That's the last I've seen of it. No arrival at a sort facility, nothing. Considering it's almost midnight, I'm very worried because assuming its on a plane (which I guess overnight is?) it should have landed by now (Either in St. Louis or another city nearby I would hope). Not only am I worried I won't get my PB back tomorrow, I'm worried that they lost it or something. Is my worrying justified? Or does DHL suck like FedEx where they don't update the tracking information until a week after it's been delivered?

And I assume Apple insures what they ship? Just in case?

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well umm, all I can say is that worryin' won't help anything, or change anything. It's kinda out of your control right now. You're just goin' to have to wait.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think package tracking gets behind sometimes. I wouldn't worry if they haven't changed the estimated delivery date.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

DHL lost my iPod Mini once. Had to call apple, and DHL, and they both agreed it was lost. The next day a new one showed up at my door.

and then another one about 4 months later.

So it could be bad, could be good. I'm sure this doesn't comfort you in any way what so ever.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

had a server shipped via DHL. i am really remote/rural. the 'DHL' delivery was made by an off-duty truck driver that happened to be going past my location. chevy truck, guy in baseball hat, left a $3000 server on my front step. :confused:

i don't use DHL anymore :mad:

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

DHL is expanding really fast. They're hiring everyone. Really unprofessional drivers. I wouldn't want to ship with them.
    Don't worry to much about your PB. It should be fine.
    Or it could be lost, cold, hungry and wants it's mommy. ;)

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Well, in the middle of the night it arrived in Bum**** Ohio and is now out with the delivery courier in St. Louis, so it's on its way to the Apple Store. :)

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

3/10/2006 10:56 am Shipment delivered. St. Louis, MO

Yay :D

Now I just need to make the hour and a half drive home to STL, and then the Apple Store to pick it up. Lets just hope its in one piece....and more importantly, fixed.

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I sent an iPod mini back for in-warranty service. Apple sent a DHL box, so that's what I used. The package got there on time and everything ... but the iPod had been removed and the box re-taped.

Apple sent me an email on Wednesday saying, "We'll find it or we'll replace it," which makes me think that it was insured (I didn't check) and that they'll be filing a claim against DHL.

Either way, this is my first and only experience with DHL. With any luck, it will also be my last.

10. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

As a former employee of a DHL airport contractor, I can say that we were no better or no worse than the other two. Where you might run into some issues (but probably not as much now as say a couple years ago) would be related to the DHL merger with Airborne Express. But since last October, the integration was fully completed with the consolidation into one central hub in Wilmington, Ohio. So any problems now will probably just be related to the nature of freight shipping (and if you want to hear some horror stories about that, just ask. I have a ton of them).

Having all that been said, I never had any real problems with DHL (or the former Airborne Express) but then again, working there, I knew a few tricks to make sure my packages went through as few hands as possible.

On that note, UPS is really pissing me off. For the umpteenth time, they have hid a package somewhere on my property and not left me any sort of note as to where I might be able to find the package or that they even delivered it. Both FedEx and DHL will at least leave a note....UPS can't be bothered. So after a little search, I was able to find my iBook stashed in a storage room in my back yard.

11. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I've actually been to Bum**** Ohio (aka Wilmington) and, well, let's just say I wasn't overly impressed. People were actually hanging out at the WalMart. Only form of culture was with the Quaker college in the town. But they do have a restaurant that serves a pretty good Fettucini Alfredo!

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

DHL tracking is nearly useless. It's fine if you only care that the package was shipped or delivered, but you won't often see updates while your stuff is in transit.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would like to hear the horror stories but perhaps that should be a different thread.

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

DHL is my favorite shipping service. I know several of the drivers in my area, and they make every attempt to make sure I get my packages on time and on the scheduled delivery day. They even went out of there way a few times to drive across town to deliver my package to a family member when I wasn't at my home. I use them all the time. On the other hand, FedEx is awful in my region. I think the performance of all shipping companies is subjective to your location.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

i've seen UPS guys repeatedly throw boxes into their trucks before. Wait, throw isn't the right word. I think "fling" might fit it better.

Watching them and combining that with the fact that I buy lots of things from Newegg and Newegg is now offering UPS shipping for faster and cheaper than Fedex...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Granted, my last newegg order was via UPS, and included a couple hard drives, none of which were damaged (plus, I could literally bury myself in the box of packing peanuts..), so they're probably not THAT bad...it was a $10 and like one day difference between FedEx and UPS, and Fedex usually delivers on the last guaranteed delivery date - i got my UPS order less than 48 hours after i ordered it - albeit, from a warehouse across the city..lol)

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

After the long drive, insist on opening and testing the machine IN THE STORE before you accept it back...

17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Already brought it home and working great.

BTW, the long drive was from my dorm to home. Now that I'm home for the weekend, the Apple Store is 15 minutes away ;)

18. Timepass macrumors 65816

I think the thowing is across all the shippers. Lets face it they are people and people are lazying. Plus the thowing is faster then the moving by hand. I dont agree with it but I can see things at least a little from there side after working as a stocker for a few years. when we broke down the loads from the truck. One of us would be at the pallet thowing cases of what ever to the other person who puts it on the correct cart for which allie it is on. Quickest and fast way to do it. Plus it was a lot more fun if that is the right word for it.

Now as I said I dissagree with the thowing of packages but I can understand why it happens.

19. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

The slang term we have used for working in the shipping industry is "chucking freight" and it's not too far from the truth