diablo 2 freezing on battle.net occasionally - any way to quit?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Megatron, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Megatron macrumors regular

Sometimes on battle.net after clicking "join a game", diablo 2 will freeze - the music keeps playing, but the mouse won't move, and the keyboard doesn't seem to work. Are there any key combinations you can press that will cause os X to shut down the program? So far all that has worked is manually turning off the power to the laptop. I would think that since os X is a true multitasking environment, one program wouldn't be able to completely freeze the machine.

edit: clarification

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One possibility is to try ⌘-option-esc, then hit return. That'll often kill the topmost app. In Finder (i.e., when things aren't frozen), try just it (without hitting return) to see the list of current apps and be able to kill any of them.

Of course, if you can log in from another computer, you could kill the application manually from the command line.

PS:
    Very helpful... :rolleyes:

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One other thing - WCIII (also Blizzard) lets you use ⌘-M to play in a window - perhaps you can do that in Diablo 2 as well, then maximize (again, via ⌘-M) once you get through the part that sometimes hangs?

4. Megatron thread starter macrumors regular

jsw thanks for the tips - I will try them next time it freezes and report back. I appreciate the help! :)

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I can confirm that at the very least you can run Diablo in windowed mode by pressing ?-M at any time. The same combination goes back to full screen. You might want to have it in windowed mode before you click join game so if it does freeze you should be able to get out easily.

6. Megatron thread starter macrumors regular

I just verified that pressing alt - option - esc, and then enter, like previously suggested, does in fact force quit the frozen diablo2 app, and you are returned to the desktop. Very helpful! Thanks!