Diablo 2 on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Devie, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

Hey,

After going through many of my old games, I ran into Diablo 2 and discovered that the expansion to this game was Mac compatible, though the original discs where not.

I have since gotten a major urge to get back into this game, but to a great annoyance I can't play the fricken thing! Since I own the original discs I morally can obtain it elsewhere (in my eyes anyway) for use on the Mac, but I was curious if when I ran the upgrade (Lord of Destruction) discs, that it will work all good and allow me to go online, get the patches and play multiplayer?

Also I'm not to sure if I'm allowed to ask this here and fair enough if I'm not, is there a place [website] where I can obtain said software... OR is there some patch file that I can get to make my discs Mac compatible?

Thanks,
    Dev.

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

??? I thought Blizzard shipped this game on hybrid PC/Mac discs? How did you ever play it (want to "get back into it") if you didn't have the Mac version to begin with? Check again.

Using OS X? Try to download the Carbon/OS X installer from Blizzard. It may be the System 9 installer on the discs isn't playing nice with OS X.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

IIRC, orginally, they had PC only discs.

OP, we can't discuss where/how to illegally obtain software on MR. And no, there's no magical way to make your PC disc suddenly work w/ OS X. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a solution for you somewhere on the big big internet.

Or worse come to worse, I'm sure you could pick up a used copy of the game for cheap. :)

G'luck.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while you might be able to find it online. i doubt your serial would work since its for a PC only disc. i'm sure you can pick it up used or even new for relatively cheap. check Amazon or Ebay.

5. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I use to have a PC and ran it on that, the Diablo II discs I own are PC only, where as Diablo II: LoD is Hybrid.

Thanks for the input guys.

I found it at a store for $25, seems a bit much for the age of the game :(. Ohwell... I'll get there.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know whether this is still possible, but you used to be able to swap the Windows version for a hybrid, for a small fee (I think it was US$10). You keep the same serial, and just get a new CD.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Many/most online stores should still stock the Diablo II Battle Chest for around $29, which will get you hybrid CDs + serials of Diablo II and LoD Expansion, plus a thick strategy guide. I would get this, new, rather than a (used?) copy of just D2 for $25.