Diablo 2 problems on i.25 iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by asphalt-proof, Oct 6, 2003.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new 1.25 iMac. This is my first mac (total time spent on OSX before the purchase... 1 hour.) I don't know the OSX very well at all. I am having difficulty with running DIablo 2. I have downloaded the OSX patches and the 1.09 mac patch. I have inserted them inthe diablo 2 files folder as per the instructions and still the game opens in os9 and the video is like molasses. I know its not the vid card because Jedi II runs smoothly. Please help!! I really don't want to uninstall the game and lose my wife's character. (She 's a gamer and threatened my life if I lose her sorceress.) Thanks in advance.

2. texas2001 macrumors newbie

In case you haven't figured it out... Reapply the OS X patch by copying the OS X files to the Diablo II Files folder. Make sure Classic if not running and launch the game by using the Diablo II (Carbon) icon. That should do it.

3. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just got bck from work...
    ok, I trashed the files (OSX patch and the V1.09 patch), closed the folder then opened it again. Do i need to restart the comp? When I start the game, I starts as v1.09. Should it show as carbon, osx, or some other version number? I still have the very slow graphics problems Also, I can' t access battlenet. the button is blacked out for it.
    Any suggestions?

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The patch is a wee bit confusing, my advice, download the OS X patch, when it says drag the folder into your diablo 2 files, remove each item from the downloaded folder into the D2 files folder. Make sure you don't just drag and drop the folder in there, each icon has to be put in the D2 files folder, try that.

5. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

also run it on 256 colors it runs much better...

6. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blizzard site

Thank you all for the advice.. I just got back from th Blizzard site and went to their open support site. Apparently there isn't much that can be done. Its not the graphic card makers or Apple's fault. Apparently Blizzard doesn't support the Mac platform better. there was mention that the v1.10 patch will address these issues. other than that, they recommended a whole convoluted process of loading os9 and running the game from there. I didn't read it too closely because my eyes glazed over. I will try it tomorrow. Hoepfully there will be a v1.10 patch and it will provide better support. thanx all for you advice.

VegetaPunk-- I will try running it in 256 color. But will it make things harder to see??

7. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

after you switch to to 256 when you get into the game to to option (I think you hit esc and then the quit and option menu comes up) then go into video option and mess with the gamma and brightness bars to get it where you like it to look. It doesnt look quite as good but you can barly tell... and the performance increase is well worth it. :)

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Wasn't there an installer?!?!

I had an installer with the update to patch 1.10!

But anyhow, when you open the diablo folder there is an icon called Diablo II (carbon). This is the one!! The other one still opens classic and opens the old (V1.09) diablo. The "Carbon" will open Diablo 2 in os X with version 1.10.

Dreadnought - unemployed hero for hire

P.s. I installed the beta version and the game was much more harder! 5 minutes to kill one creature... or get killed by one blow....

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

By the way, is the new version 1.10 already out of beta??

10. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you get..

I just got back from Blizzard's website and only found the 1.09D and OSX patch. Can you direct me to the 1.10?
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete

11. Golem macrumors 6502

1.10 was a beta patch and got pulled 2-3 days ago. You may be able to find it on the net if you look hard enough but you cant use it on battle.net till released.

Release 1.10 will be out sometime betweeen tomorrow and xmas:( *crosses fingers about xmas*

1.10 performance is pretty good I was getting 40 fps on my g4 800 with Geoforce 2mx

You should have a file called diablo 2 carbon this is the 1 you run. Make sure the Graphics is set to software mode,256 colors.

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I always play d2 at thousands of colors, else the background is blurry and the graphics aren't that nice! Playing diablo on a 20 inch monitor doesn't look that good :( So I always play in the small mode (apple M)

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Dont download 1.10 PATCH!!! They are still having a lot of problems with legit accounts losing all their stuff, so wait till it goes public and final.