Diablo 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by macfan92, Jul 24, 2006.

1. macfan92 macrumors newbie

After I installed Diablo 2, and the menu screen pops up, everything is all like, distorted. I don't know of another word other than distorted to explain it. If anyone has had this problem before please help.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If I recall correctly, you can solve this by using the software renderer instead of OpenGL. Hold Option while launching the game to switch.

3. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I have never been more addicted to anything, and I smoked for 14 years.

4. macfan92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused though, I thought that software was for old computers. I have an intel mac.

5. pna macrumors 6502

Oy -- that might be your problem right there. Have you checked w/blizzard to make sure that diablo2 works under rosetta? I know everything is just supposed to work under translation, but I don't know how well that truly holds.

If you can, you'll be a lot better off for diablo 2 (and all games in general) to just have a dual-boot system with a native windows install. On a similarly powerered machine, there's no question that the windows version will run better than the powerpc version, especially under rosetta.

6. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Though there is a performance hit with Rosetta, some parts of applications don't seem to work. For example, Virtual PC doesn't work at all. This is similar with Diablo II running in OpenGL mode - it's not that your computer isn't powerful enough, it's just that Rosetta has problems running it in OpenGL mode for some reason.

:) I hear Blizzard is working on a patch, so don't worry.

Edit: Here's my source for the patch.

7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

D2 works fine under software rendering on my intel imac.
    openGL support has been rumored forever. i am starting to give up.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hear, hear.

9. macfan92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya the software thing does work fine it's just a shame that all these games have troubles with macs.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Intel Macs have hardly been out forever. Just like Blizzard optimized Diablo for OSX, I'm sure they will make it "useable" on Intel Macs in the time to come.
    Many people still play and some are even still buying DII.

Besides the fact that no one should be using VPC on an Intel Mac and besides the fact that no one should be using VPC at all on any Mac, all I have to say about that comment is...

AHHHAHAHAH!

Your funny :D

11. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I was actually thinking the same thing when I typed it :D I just couldn't think of any other examples (though there are others) off-hand.

Just to note - Diablo II is very much playable under software render mode. The only difference would be the absence of the (I believe it's called) panorama view or whatever.

12. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

"Perspective" view :p

13. qwincy macrumors newbie

games

I have a Mac os X 10.4.8 and when i finished installing diablo 2 the menu screen seems to be all scrambeled. Does anyone know of any way to fix this???