Diablo 3 - Confirmed?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, May 3, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This could simply be more speculation on the part of IGN, but I noticed something interesting today on an Ad for IGN's "Insider" for E3 coverage.

The ad has a bunch of developer/designer names as well as game names in the [orange] background and 10 of them fade to the front then go back into the background. All of them are previously announced games except for Diablo 3.

There is a single news item for Diablo 3 that is a year old... but the release date is listed as TBA 2006.

Could be nothing, but found it oddly interesting...

2. Quantum Man macrumors member

I wonder how they would approach the visual style of the game? Truly 3D 3rd person view from behind?

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't want to be pessimist, but even if they announce Diablo 3 at E^3, it's Blizzard we're talking here. It probably won't be released until late 2010. That being said, their games are usually worth the wait.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Diablo 3 is likely to be released at some point - I don't think that they will abandon that franchise entirely. There's still a lot of interest 6 years after D2 was released.

So far though I've heard nothing to indicate that any serious work has been done on D3. I'm not sure what form the game would take either - WoW took a lot of inspiration from the Diablo series and in many ways has replaced it.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Hell, when I go home, I'm going to pick up diablo2 again for a while. Blizzard just makes incredible games.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You know, a 3rd person Diablo adventure might actually be really fun. The same engine could be used to do top down hack and slash play as well (just move the camera). Maybe a mix of both. Close up, 3rd person for some levels, with puzzles and platforms to jump, etc, and a top down larger view for some classic Diablo click spam fun.

Plus, they could likely reuse a lot of the code (graphics) from WoW and/or Starcraft Ghost, saving money and time. Having a fully developed 3rd person adventure engine would be something good to have around for some smaller titles if they ever wanted to get into the console market (again) or anything like that.

Oohh, what would be REALLY fun (imo) is if they released D3 in an episodic schedule only available for download at first. Really ramp up the story, release a never level or two (say one 3rd person adventuring level, and a top down hack and slash dungeon) per week for a $1.99 download. They could release sets of 6 months worth with some bonus content on CD/DVD for retail sale for added sales. I think that'd be fun, at least.

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I first played Diablo II on my gamily's old Celeron Gateway PC (7gb hardrive, unknown amount of RAM) that didn't have enough room for the expansion. Then I played it on my family's next dell and now I play it on my MBP. It is the only game that has survived that long a time. It was also my first "M" game so it has a special place in my heart. If Diablo III were to be announced at E3 and have a release date of 2010, I would have my sleeping bag and tent ready the day after the announcement.

8. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Its funny but I just fired up another character on Diablo after a year of not playing. My wife did the same just last week. Love that game. Its amazing that there are still so many people on the servers when I get on. Really a classic game. Too bad I really can't justify paying for WoW. Well, maybe I should do some more looking???

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Oh please God, if its true, don't let it be another MMORPG!! :( Blizzard has to realize some day, that not all of the people who play games have the time/will to give up their social lives/sanity. Just let me play the damn thing offline :p

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, but that being said, i'd be willing to give it a shot with D3, however, i still love D2 and the single player even. i need to start a new game sometime soon, just for the hell of it. amazing game.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Yesssss. I refuse to buy a monthly subscription game. I don't game often enough to justify it, I don't want to become involved with a game at the level a MMORPG requires you to be involved at. Diablo 2 was great because it was offline and online. If they mess that formula up I will be so pissed.

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Diablo II and the expansion still work on PPC, right? You just need to download a patch.. somewhere.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep still work without a problem, there is an OS X installer to be found on Blizzard's site, shouldn't be too hard to find it you look around

edit: http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdt0387p

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The only reason I don't play D2 anymore is that I wouldn't get any work done. :eek:

I hope that if/when they do release a D3, it is not just a WoW clone of some sort. I also want it to have a lot of single player replay value, because I enjoyed D2 mostly singleplayer, away from the dupers and PK'ers etc.

15. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I still play D2 online and I would love to see Diablo 3. BUT, Starcraft 2 should come first. It has been 10 years since the game was released and it is STILL my favorite RTS game. Please, Blizzard, release Starcraft 2 sometime before I die.

16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

:eek: iHope it's made soon. I loved DII too much. lol

17. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Diablo 3 or StarCraft 2... Please just something other than WoW...

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704813p1.html

No D3 it would appear.

I'd be wary of another Diablo game from Blizzard anyhow, seeing as how the creative team has been gutted and they now work as a separate firm (Flagship).

19. Timepass macrumors 65816

be intersting to see. But the programs who work on both Diablo 1 and 2 have left Blizzard and now work for Areana.net and guildwars. But intersting but they dont have the main guys behind the oringal game any more.

I also would not be surpise to see D3 be a MMORPG. Come on you have oblian and a few other games that fill D3 role pretty well. I just doute we will see D3 being just a RPG for us like D2 was

20. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I can't see it happening. As Blackadder says, WoW has borrowed so much from the Diablo universe that coming out with a separate game would be odd. I enjoyed Diablo and Diablo II, but I'd much rather see Starcraft 2, that's something WoW has not siphoned off of yet (World of Starcraft?). But yes, I would also like a completely offline game. At this point it seems like Blizzard may never make another standalone, non-subscription-based game. WoW has completely consumed the company and with the mountains of cash they're raking in, they're probably under a lot of pressure to concentrate on that (especially since they're probably single-handedly supporting Vivendi now).