Diablo II Mods on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by ukrainian boy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ukrainian boy macrumors newbie

How to install Diablo II Mods on Mac? I tried to rename D2_Patch.mpq to Diablo II Patch (Carbon) but it doesnt work(((. Help me please.

2. ukrainian boy thread starter macrumors newbie

3. hungry lizard macrumors newbie

Re - Diablo II Mods on Mac

Hi,

Renaming the d2_patch.mpq file to "Diablo II Patch (Carbon)" is definitely the right way to do it. Double check you did the renaming right.

What mod are you trying to install anyway - some mods have not been designed to work on a Mac, and most mods are designed for a specific patch of the game. E.g. some mods only run with 1.10, not 1.11b. You'll have to check your game patch level and make sure it is compatible with the mod.

FYI, if you do the full install of Diablo II + LoD, using the native Mac OS X installer, you get version 1.10.

Hope this helps in some way...

4. ukrainian boy thread starter macrumors newbie

I was playing on a private server and administration of this server has created their own mod based on mod Renaissance (this mod is very popular on some russian private servers). When i renaimed d2_patch.mpq file to Diablo II Patch (Carbon) and replace it the game doesn't works.:(

5. hungry lizard macrumors newbie

Interesting. I've tried to find this mod - can't seem to find it anywhere. Looks like it is only available to users on that private server, so I can't test it.

Do the mod creators have a FAQ/requirements list? Like I said before, the mod may want a specific version of the game.

Lastly - what exactly do you mean by "it doesn't work" ? E.g. the game launches then crashes?

6. ukrainian boy thread starter macrumors newbie

The game doesn't run at all. It says that it can't open file Diablo II Patch (Carbon). Here is the mod: http://games.alkar.net/games/d2lod/files/Renaissance.rar

7. hungry lizard macrumors newbie

Downloaded the mod to try it out. This is getting weird.

When *I* put the patch_D2.mpq into the Diablo 2 directory & rename it to "Diablo II Patch (Carbon)", the game does actually launch just fine. However, I don't see anything special about it - i.e. I have no idea if the mod does anything! The game runs, no problem with creating a character & playing.

The mod also has a few DLLs, which will not work on Mac at all. Hence you can't really use all features of this mod (in single player), as it is designed for Windows version (this is probably why I don't see anything different in the mod). It should still work in multiplayer if you join a game where the Host runs Windows.

I've no idea why it doesn't work on yours though.

FYI, here's my set-up:

"Carbonised" Diablo II + LoD install - used the native OS X installer. Game installed at patch level 1.10.
    OS X 10.4

8. ukrainian boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you deleted the native Diablo II Patch (Carbon) file?

9. hungry lizard macrumors newbie

No, that would really make life difficult. I just moved the original file to a backup folder so that the game does not see it.

Then I'd put the .mpq file in Diablo II directory & rename it to Diablo II Patch (Carbon) , and the game runs fine.

Prior to trying out this mod, I've played the Ultimate Fixer mod, Eastern Sun mod, and Median 2008 mod. All worked fine. A friend of mine had his game crash at character creation screen - but that was caused by him renaming the file incorrectly :)

If you have an Intel Mac, you can boot up XP & run that, see if that works. That said, I do not do this myself and would only do this as a last resort.

Is my understanding correct that the normal game actually works fine, but the modded game fails to run at all, in your case?

As you state, the game complains that it can't open the file. Hmmm. At what point does it fail? Can you give the output of an "ls -l" in the Diablo II directory? (If you are comfortable using Terminal, let me know if not)

10. ukrainian boy thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! All works! I used FileType to change .mpq file to Diablo II Data file.
    Thanks for help.

11. hungry lizard macrumors newbie

Well done :)

Good to see this fixed.

Have fun gaming.