Diablo II Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Nov 28, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

When playing Diablo II online, I find that the action onscreen will slow down, almost to a slideshow, then all of a sudden speed up and go really fast for a period of time. This usually happens when a large number of enemies show up on screen and then disappear.

Anyone know's what is causing this and what I can do fix this?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Do you use software graphics acceleration? There’s a bug in Diablo 2 AFAIR that makes the other mode really laggy. You should switch to software mode to see if it enhances your experience.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

No I use OpenGL.

I kinda thought that my eMac was good enough to run the game. I mean, it's quite a bit over the specs that are required.

Perhaps it's a networking issue.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It is likely related to your internet connection. I used to play D2 on a 266MHz G3 iMac with no problems, even using software acceleration (until patch 1.10, which was buggy on my machine under OS 9).

Online play can get laggy, with results similar to what you describe. Try playing single player for a while and see if the same thing happens.

5. PhantomVI macrumors newbie

I'd have to agree that the problem is coming from internet lag and not your machine. As surprising as this might sound, I saw very little improvement playing the single player game on my new dual 2.5 Ghz G5 compared to my old 450 Mhz G4, so the eMac shouldn't be having any problems.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've played Diablo II:LOD (won't work without LOD..) on a 6100 with G3 (250mhz) upgrade, 72MB RAM and a apple 2MB AV card..
    It was a bit slow loading, but most of the time it was OK in software mode (under os 8.6? or 9.04). There are various patches of OSX diablo and some of them are crappy.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, wow. If it's this bad on DSL I have no clue how I dealt with playing over Dial-Up all those years back.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Are you playing the osx version or in classic?
    Are you still using openGL?
    Try downloading the latest patch for D2.

Try to play a LAN game or some singleplayer and see if its still laggy/slow

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

1) Yes, playing the Carbon Version
    2) Using Open GL
    3) Using the latest patch, because when I connect to Battle.net it doesn't prompt for a download.

I'll try a LAN game later, I guess.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I can see if i can find my copy tomorrow and try it on my powerbook and see if its laggy on battle.net

11. ricebag macrumors member

slow in single-player

I dunno, mine lags like that with lots of enemies in single player mode. And I'm on a G4 1.33 powerbook, with none of the settings turned up beyond default (and some turned down). Any solutions? I assume this is not common.