Diablo II Runs Poorly On My G4...why?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 17, 2007.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I've got a 1Ghz G4 eMac with the 32MB Radeon 7500 and 768MB of RAM, well above Diablo II's specs.

So why do I find that it's chuggy when there's alot of characters onscreen?

2. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

"1.5mbps DSL"

Of course, probably 1mbps on a good day.

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Do you have the OS X patch installed, or still the Classic version? If you didn't go to the trouble of getting the OS X version, you still have the Classic one. It's not hard to get the OS X patch, just look around on Blizzard's site.

Daniel.

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

One thing to try is to turn off hardware acceleration in the settings and tell it to use the software renderer. Normally this should be slower, but on my old G4 PowerBook I remember Diablo 2 running very slowly under hardware acceleration, once I changed to software it was teh snappy. Maybe some video driver glitch, who knows? But it cleared the problem right up.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

By that you mean the OS X installer from Blizzard's site, right, that you use to install vs. the on-disc installer?

Also, this from Blizzard:

"We have noticed a decrease in game performance with Mac OS version 9.0 or greater. This includes all versions of Mac OS X. The slowdown is due to inefficiencies in the video card drivers included with those versions of the Mac OS. All the relevant parties responsible for driver updates have been informed. "

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0628p

Maybe you need an ATI driver update.

My 2005 eMac runs it just fine, but maybe yours (release date = ?) didn't have an update included.

These kinds of things are still ongoing...just had a lot of crashes with WC3 conflicting with the latest DivX codec, so Blizzard sent me a custom version of the codec (from DivX, no less) that works.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yep, this is the problem. Run the game in software mode. Hardware mode has some issues for some reason that causes an erratic framerate.

9. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Like I said previously, try updating your drivers! Or an OS X-native install, etc. I can say for a fact on my G4 that hardware (OpenGL) mode runs quite smoothly and non-erratically; indeed, just as nice as software rendering. So it's not that hardware in general "is the problem" or just "has some issues" that can't be fixed.

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

What drivers are there to update that Apple's Software Update won't handle?

And yes, It's installed natively in OS X.

11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

All I know is A. what Blizzard says on their site, and B. that my higher-spec eMac w./10.4 has no trouble running Diablo II under hardware. A quick poke on ATI's site reveals driver updates released in 2005 for OSes earlier than 10.3.6, I think. But who knows what made it into 10.3.9, etc. What OS are you running?

Looks like you have two options:

- Run it under software, like everyone here says.

- If you want to run it under hardware, email Blizzard tech support with your precise problem, hardware and OS specs, etc. They've been very good in helping me out with specific errors and updates in the past. What's on their site is probably fairly old, so they should be able to offer updated advice.

12. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Running 10.3.9. It's odd just how erratic it seems to run.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I have a PowerMac G4 upgraded to 1.3ghz with a 64mb Radeon 8500 and 800 some-odd mbs of RAM running 10.4.8 and the most recent version of D2 [w/expansion] and I must say the game runs choppy at best.

Since my computer is great for OS 9 but kind of crummy in OS X I went to install it [figured I would just boot into 9 to play dia2] but found out that my disc is cracked :(

It's really disappointing that such a game doesn't run well in OS X [for me]. And considering how crappy it ran in OS 9 before I upgraded and how well it should run for me now but I can't install OS 9 and it runs bad in OS X and the fact that I continue rambling and typing.....

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah. I did recently download the ATIcellerator overclocking utility for OS X [ppc] and overclocked my 8500 by about 15% [search google to find some safe numbers or you may fry something] there is a nice change but still get choppy with my summoning necro =P

This game isn't that pretty to begin with and I can't stand playing it in 640 res. in hardware mode.

I'm thinking of getting a 9600 [will the 4x AGP work in my 2x?] because I think that is the best card available for my G4 but I'm still doing research.

My guess is lame porting to OSX by Blizzard. It works, but requires probably twice the rec. specs to play nice. Actually I wouldn't blame Blizzard.... I'd blame OS X. [I still haven't forgiven Apple for that.... :( ]

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, it's not OS X in general, maybe something between OS X and your particular configuration, because it ran very smoothly on my old 800 MHz G4 PowerBook with Radeon 7500 Mobility, which should be considerably slower than the setup you mention you have. As I said, I had to disable hardware rendering to get the good framerate.

15. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Well I know the game will run smooth with hardware support disabled/thousand colors/640 resolution but that's not the point. There shouldn't be any reason that my system shouldn't be able to handle this game at "max" settings with hardware support/millions of colors/800 resolution. It would have ran perfect with those settings in OS 9 and is way above the system requirements for the game as well [also based in 9]. But maybe because of the hardware req. for X itself is higher or the fact that it's a lame update [probably quicktimes fault?] it does not run smooth with the highest settings as it should [or as me and the OP want it to].

:)

16. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I honestly don't know why hardware accelerated 3d slows the game down, but it does. And not just on Macs, but on PC's as well. Running D2 in direct3d mode under windows also gives a lot of stutter on any modernly fast system. All you miss out on is the colored lighting, so i'd just revert to software mode and call it a day.

17. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I'll say again, my 1.42 G4/Radeon 9600 64MB does exactly that, and quite smoothly. In your case, you said you'd upgraded your processor to a 1.3. Maybe it's the upgrade that doesn't play well with the game...I know Aspyr notes "Apple-original processor" for many games, maybe Blizzard too? Even with a faster chip, the memory bus, etc. may not be up to it.