Diablo II runs really badly.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by couch potato, Jun 28, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

ok i have a 17 inch iMac (1ghz). i just installed diablo 2, and got the OS X patch. it runs really bad....and i cant figure it out. it tested my graphics, etc......but it still runs badly:(

my gfx card is a GeForce 2 mx 32mb no doubt, but when i checked the log file, it said ati??? just a thought

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah somthing is not right. i remember playing diablo on my powerbook 500 g3 with 8mb video card and it played excellent. not sure whats up there.

iJon

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

For some reason, it plays pretty crappy on my dual 533 mhz (which has the same graphics card you do) under X, but in OS 9 it runs fine...the best way to get better performance out of it under OS X i've found is to run the application in windowed mode (hit command-M while in the game)...it seems to run a lot more smoothly.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The iSight camera seems to get a little warm when it is on.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wrong thread, buddy! ;)

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Concerning Diablo 2 and the OS X patch, there was a lot of discussion. In the end, it came out that Blizzard did their best on the OS X port, and it still lacks performance. But why?

As Blizzard informed, Diablo performs not well on OS X while using OpenGL. To play it correctly, you have to turn it off and switch to software rendering.
    How to do that? If during startup the dialogue does not appear, hold down the option key. Click on configure video and select the left hand choice, software rendering. You will only have 256 colors then, but at least the game will commence with full OS 9-like speed.

Blizzard said, that this is only the fault of a bug in OpenGL in OS X. This bug has really existed since OS X.1. Since that time I have to live with 256 color-Diablo. Anyway, we can finally rejoice: Not only that patch 1.10 will make its way with about 12 pages of new features and changes (Source: Blizzard), but I have also heard reports of Diablo 2 running at full speed in the Panther Preview, that means the bug is FINALLY removed by Apple.

Cheers, Stike.

7. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I've got D2 on my 400Mhz iMac, and I get reasonable performance on it. I've turned off a lot of the graphical options, but I am running in 16 bit....uhhh...I think.

8. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

but when is 1.10 coming out?! I've heard it would be out for like a long time now lol. even warcraft is getting a 1.10 before D2.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No, this time it is acually coming, I remember when I stopped playing 1.1 was 'just around the corner' and it still aint here, but it will be, they have screen shots.

10. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Here is the message from Blizzard:

11. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

well, i just run it in small window, command-m, and it works great! yay, already lvl 10 paladin:)

12. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

The clou is, you DONT HAVE TO run it in a small window. If you let Diablo run in a window, it uses automatically the aforementioned Software Rendering, thus circumventing the OpenGL bug. If you select Software Rendering as a preset, you can play it fullscreen without any problems!

Try it! Really!

13. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular