Diablo II

Discussion in 'Games' started by iShater, Dec 9, 2003.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Someone at my office is selling:

Diablo Battle Chest Pack - includes Diablo, Diablo II and the expansion pack Lord of Destruction - $15

According to him, the box states the Mac requirements as:

G3 processor, MacOS 8.1 or higher, 64 MB RAM, 1.5 GB hard drive space, 4X cd-rom, Video support for 256-color display at 800x600 reolution.

Does anybody know if it runs natively under OSX? how is the performance?

Also, for Neverwinter Nights, is it a hybrid CD as well? or was the game released as seperate packages for PC and Mac?

Thanks

2. tek macrumors regular

the installer is OS9, but there is a carbon patch for the d2 files once it's installed.

check the CD key isn't banned from online play... thats the main reason people sell diablo II cheap

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

you can also play it under classic, works perfectly. However, you'll need to update diablo 2 to version 1.9 or 1.10. The newest are carbon patches. I prefer 1.9, 1.10 is sooooo much harder (less fun to play!). BTW, that is very cheap!!!

4. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Is there a way to verify the CD code before installing/playing the game?

5. tek macrumors regular

get him to install the game on a comp and go onto battle.net (not open battle.net)

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Re: Diablo II & Neverwinter Nights

Neverwinter Nights is not a hybrid, Mac users had to wait about a year longer to get our version (sans tool kit). :(

However once you have the Mac version running it appears that people have instructions here on how to install the windows version of Shadows of Undrentide on a Mac. :)

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I was considering buying the battle chest, but considering that I already bought the original Diablo back in 1997, and Diablo II when that came out, I figured I should just buy a copy of the expansion instead of rebuying all the games again just to get the expansion along with it. However, once it gets cheap enough, I may buy it just to have backup copies of my Diablo CDs.

Watch it though, Diablo II is addictive. You'll start to play it and hours will pass like minutes.

On another note, we should start a little Macrumors Diablo II clan and have regular meetings online. That'd be pretty cool.

8. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

and perhaps trade items with eachother or give the "newbie" characters some free items!:)

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Diablo runs fun in OS X, I use it on my G3 iMac and it runs fine. However if you do have a G3 and a vid card with less the 16mb of RAM I recommend running the game in software mode, you lose some graphics but the game will not lag, which is very important!

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Exactly! So, anyone interested? We could either play on battle.net using passworded games or we could get someone here with a nice broadband connection to host IP games.

11. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

I have an 800Mhz G3 iBook with 32MB VRAM, so I hope that will work fine for it.

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

You shouldn't have any problems on modest graphics detail settings. I played the game for years on my PentiumIII 600MHz w/8MB VRAM. I only noticed a bit of slowdown when playing a LAN game with several high level necromancers - way too many skeletons running around.

13. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Is it possible to play a LAN game between PCs and Macs? or do you have to go out to battle.net?

Thanks!

14. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard that it is possible. You do not need to go out to Battle.net. I have found LAN play to be much more enjoyable than internet play anyways.

15. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

Heh I just bought Diablo II on Saturday and well since I bought it I've been playing non-stop...

I am so addicted to the game I started my character and am now on level 26...

I think I only turned Diablo II off on my computer once on Sunday and that was just before I went to bed ;)

From the time I woke up to the time I went to bed i played diablo II all day lmao ;)

Here's my characters Stats

Character Name: Khalus
    Level: 26
    Class: Necromancer

16. Lasher macrumors newbie

Yes it is possible to play Mac and PC over a LAN. I have wasted many many many hours doing so. My roomie and I play together, often with Europeans joining in, just a matter of getting your router settings correct (for the bodies outside of your house).

It is incredibly addictive. I have lost many a weekend building my character, who I haven't visited in a while (trying to get some other important stuff done.. like foolin' with Prince of Persia ;) ).

My character's an Overlord Necromancer -- and yes I may cause a lag with all of my beasties, but when people complain, I just unsommon them all and everyone dies. After that, they don't complain. I think I am at level 60 or there abouts, which tells me just how much time I spent at it.

There are two aggravating things I find playing Diablo on a mac.. anyone can let me know if they have found fixes. 1) You can't apply special keys (woud speed up my casting a lot) and 2) We have nothing like Alcohol for pc which creates a virtual cd on your desktop and speeds up the transitions.

17. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Thanks for all the responses. I have my iBook with me today at work and will try the game. Not sure if I can test that the reg # is not banned from Battle.net, I just hope it is not.

18. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

I wish I didn't have to Use the Diablo II CD as it would increase the game speed so much...

I don't like using cd's because I'm such a perfectionest all my stuff has to be in top working order or I get paranoid...

19. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Ok folks, I picked up the battle chest for $15 :D

Now, how do I get the OSX or carbonized version of the application? when I ran the installer everything was running under Classic.

I found 1.10 in VersionTracker, wasn't sure if downloading that would bring the updated application file or not.

Thanks!

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Head over to blizzard.com, then go to support>patches. In there you'll find two files. One to upgrade it to OSX, and another to get it compatible with 10.3.

21. Ipyro24, Dec 21, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

Ipyro24 macrumors member

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Anyone feel like doing an IP game? I have DSL now and I can host. :)

23. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

When I finally install it and configure it, I might take you up on that offer. But I have dialup, so not sure how bad it will be. I am still downloading the patches.

P.S. I hate SBC/Ameritech.:mad:

24. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, if you have problems, we'll just try meeting on Battle.net somewheres. An IP game is worth a shot though. IM me on iChat/AIM at the screenname "maximumzero0".