Diablo III... when???

Discussion in 'Games' started by toughboy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    Does anyone know if theres going to be a diablo 3, since diablo 1 & 2 sold so well, and were great games? maybe a diablo 3 would have much better graphics? and hopefully it'll be mac-comp like any other blizzard game???
  2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    All I have to say is that it better be after StarCraft II....

3. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    a few months back PC Gamer had a small article that diablo3 was being developed but it had no real info on it just that after WoW was released and such they would announce it as under development
  4. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    yeah.. its been a long time since StarCraft.. but there is alternatives to SC but Diablo is kind of a unique game..

Blizzard seems to be a small company since they only work on 1 or 2 games at one time.. but how can they be mac competable being that small?.. any subsidies or something else???
  5. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    thats great news.. at least they work on it..

though when blizzard announces a game, they release it after 2 years or so.. :rolleyes: :(
  6. Golem macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    I am paraphasing something i read maybe a year ago.

"Blizzard A? (Main) are responsible for warcraft/starcraft and are currently working on World of warcraft.

Blizzard North are responsible for Diablo and have been working on two projects one of which has been cancelled. Note their have been some fairly public resignation from Blizzard North over the last 18 months and a number of the people went and started Guild Wars."

So either the cancelled Diablo 3 or the cancelled something else and are working on Diablo 3.

Toughboy >> Developing a game from scratch with a unique engine just takes an enourmous amount of people and time.
  7. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    Knowing Blizzard, it won't be when they say it will be :rolleyes:
  8. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    let us not forget that blizzard is releasing an expansion to the starcraft universe Starcraft Ghost sometime soon. this will be blizzards first platform game (ps2, Gamecube, Xbox) since the pre warcraft 1 days... so they might go on to do diablo3 after that starcraft game... just my thoughts :cool:
  9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    World of Warcraft is basically like Diablo anyway (level up, get equipment, mindlessly kill monsters), so why not just play that?
  10. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    I remember reading that the Diablo world had been put on indefinite hold, but that work on Star Craft 2 had begun about 6 months ago. As for Starcraft Ghost, I'm holding out less and less hope that it will be good, what with all the Nihilistic shenanigans and leanings toward run and gun action.
  11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    Also you need to rememeber the leading designers and coder behind dioblo left blizzard a while ago and went and formed there own company. That group of people went and are making a game called Guild Wars which from the Preview over the weekend will be really sweet
  12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Unfortunately I don't think the future is bright for the Diablo series.

As others have said, several employees left Blizzard and started their own company, and they were some of the key members of the Diablo team. I'll bet that their departure put the proverbial nail in the coffin for Diablo. If they do release a third Diablo game, it will be a while from now and I doubt that it will be the success that D1, D2 and D2X were. Still, Blizzard has a habit of making good games, so perhaps they'll prove me wrong. I think that a D3, if made, would be significantly different from the first two games.
  13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The general game concepts might be pretty close, but if you'd played both games you would know that the gameplay isn't even similar.
  14. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    I am sad about SC:Ghost.

I think they're making a financially good decision at the expense of their fans. I want SC2, not some stupid console FPS game.

I HATE console FPS games. FPS shouldn't be allowed without a mouse.

I have wanted to play the new 4-species StarCraft ever since i finished Brood War.

15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    Guild Wars is a lot like Daiblo III would be. The game play is very simlar but then again it is made by the key members of who made Daiblo

From what they where stating on there main site there is a plan for a Mac verson to come out. Just it will be released after the PC version.
  16. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    StarCraft Ghost

I seem to remember seeing screen shots and artists renderings for this game two years ago then... nothing. I was really saddened that it was going to console and not to a Mac or 'gasp' PC. StarCraft was one of the best RTS games ever. Loved the story line. Plus the ending totally leaves you hanging for a sequel. You couldn't set up a sequeal any better!
    Oh well. I guess I should get used to disappointment.
  17. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    Obviously people don't read facts. Starcraft: Ghost is a stealth game, similar to Splinter Cell. Not a "FPS" on a console, which by the way are fine, but they have to change somewhat. If Blizzard doesn't increase their market, they'll die. Lokk how many companies have gone under in the last year. I mean, freakin a, Acclaim went under, so I completely understand them.
  18. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    acclain went under :mad: no furfighters 2, sigh.

for the sake of my sanity i hope no diablo game is made again untill i'm finished at school.
  19. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    Blizzard is in no danger of "going under."

The difference between Splinter Cell and the average FPS is no more than going to the console and typing "behindview_1" and hitting return.

It's the same thing. And they suck on consoles. The last truly "fun" console shooter game was, goldeneye. and even that was awkward because you don't have a mouse.

Even the most adept, die-hard console gamers look like mediocre PC gamers when they're playing something like Splinter Cell or GTA or Halo.

If you've played any of these games on both console and PC, then you know what I mean. Let's put it this way: Blizzard currently has two projects, one is a pay-to-play subscription, and the other is a console that should, at the very least, be on a PC because it has a first or third-person element and it's a shooting game. No, it's not Unreal Tournament, but it IS similar to Thief or Splinter Cell or Hitman. All of these games had PC and console versions, and the console versions were shadows...even splinter cell. Blurry doesn't impress me. and I'm not ever going to pay by the month for a game that I purchased in a store up front. Never. I know lots of people do, but I think they should stop, and we wouldn't have to deal with this foolishness anymore.

So, from a guy who has the following Blizzard titles proudly displayed on a shelf above his computer: Warcraft, Warcraft2, Warcraft Battlechest, Warcraft 3+expansion pack, Diablo, Diablo2+expansion pack, and Starcraft+Broodwar, let me say this...Most Blizzard fans want the next great RTS fantasy game. They do NOT want splinter cell. They do NOT want Everquest. They want Starcraft 2. They want a fresh approach to Diablo on par with the Warcraft III reinvention. They want what they've been buying by the tens of millions of copies for the last 10 years. I've got no doubts that SC:Ghost will be a fine game. But I won't play it. And I'm sure WoW will do well, but I'm not spending 200 dollars a year on ONE game, because there is literally NO way that it will be to me what the original Starcraft was to me in terms of joyful gameplay. And I paid 30 bucks for Starcraft.

I know this was a rant. But someone had to say it.
  20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    So, bugger all chance of you are looking forward to Halo 2 then?
  21. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003

that's one way to put it.

i'll play Halo 2 if/when the PC version comes out, and probably not before.

I'll have plenty to keep me company anyway what with Half Life 2 and Sims 2 and any number of other games on the PC, and hopefully several non-FPS/shooter games coming out that will be fun on console. Racing games are good for consoles, as are sports games and fighting games and even some adventures. Final Fantasy is a good thing for the console. That sort of thing, they work with a controller and low-resolution.

but when you're hunting someone and moving on 6 axis' at a time, the mini joysticks on a controller just don't do it, and when you need to shoot something 300 yards away while on the run, 640x480 (at the best) just doesn't make for a great experience...especially not through the blur glasses of a TV.

nope. Blizzard needs SC 2 if they want me to add to my collection.

Since playing through the first one, I've always felt it was the best thing they ever did. And I've been waiting here quietly hoping for what seems like a half dozen years, now. Oh wait. It has been.
  22. Nejja Halcyon macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    Like others have said, it had better be after Starcraft 2.

Nejja Halcyon

P.S If anyone has a fileplanet account could you please request a key for me for World of Warcraft and PM me?
  23. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I've been waiting 23 hours for mine.. no way I'm giving it to you. :eek:
  24. Nejja Halcyon macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    Account share ;)

I'm talking to all the people who have FP accounts and for some retarded reason, dont want to try out WoW.

Are you guys out there? If so, tell me please!!

Nejja Halcyon
  25. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Back near the release of Diablo II, Blizzard bought out and brought in-house the porting shop that they were contracting to do the Mac ports of their games. Now all of the people responsible for the Mac versions of their games also work on the PC versions of their games, so they get extra hands and parallel development of the Mac & PC versions of their games -- a win for them (debugging on different platforms often exposes bugs uncaught on the other) and a win for the fans (we get the Mac versions the same day instead of months later).