Dial up and Broadband on single PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Piarco, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I posted a month or so ago about my problems with getting AOL on my PB, but thanks to a friendly tech at AOL and the imminent arrival of my wireless router, I'll be surfing from tomorrow :D
    But for those occasions I'm not at home, and nowhere near a wireless access point, I'd like to be able to use a dial up connection - both through the standard modem and using my K700i as a BT modem. So is it not a problem to have two ISPs on the single mac? It would be AOL and Wanadoo (for dial up)....

2. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

No problem at all. I have broadband ethernet, dial up and broadband wireless connections set-up and I switch between them regularly.

One of my favourite Apple moments came when I first set-up ethernet broadband on my powerbook. I connected the cable and then looked at the long list of settings required for the connection on PC's. A button appeared on the screen saying do you want help with this. I clicked yes and it said "connected" - Brilliant.

3. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

You just need to set up different Locations in Network Preferences and switch between them as needed. You can switch Locations either from within Network Prefs, or - much easier and quicker - from the Apple Menu.

I've got Locations for home WiFi, home Ethernet and a couple of roaming dial-up numbers that I set up while on holiday in the US.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When I used to use both broadband (Yahoo DSL) and dialup (BT modem = Nokia 3650 / T-Mo), I didn't even have to do this. I just set up the wireless modem, and then turned on the menubar dialup icon, and when I wanted to dial, I just chose dial. And I only had one location. I think, at least with panther it can switch automatically, without any troubles. Same deal for having the computer set up for one broadband provider and then plugging an ethernet cable in when you go somewhere else. I never have to re-configure settings for this.

If you do multiple locations, what differences do you have to input between them?

5. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

I had different locations for different dial-up numbers: home dial-up with BT, and a couple of different roaming US numbers with BamNet. Switching to a pre-configured location from the Apple menu saved having to open Internet Connect and manually change the phone number.

When I switched to broadband I added the Ethernet location for tidiness more than anything else, ditto when I bought an Aiport Express. I probably don't need seperate locations for those last two, but if the facility is there I like to use it ... :)