Dial-up modem and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jj44, Oct 9, 2006.

1. jj44 macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2006
    Is there any way to connect an external USB modem to my Airport Express and have it broadcast the 56k signal? I have everything set up properly (I think) but in the Airport Admin Assistant Utility the "Connect using: Modem" is greyed out.

2. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    I think only the Airport Extreme Base Station supports this via the built in modem.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I think even that's just as a back-up in case the broadband goes down, just outputs the 56k over an ethernet cable, not even wireless.

I have seen a router that supports wireless broadcasting of 56k internet but that was in a Canadian electronics catalogue and it looked dodgy and was definitely expensive.

It certainly won't work using the AirPort Express.
  4. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    Dial-up does in fact work wirelessly with the Airport Extreme. This has been my method of connecting to the internet at home over the past 2 years.

I also have an Express that I currently use for Airtunes but I would be interested in hearing if jj44 can get this working via USB modem. If I knew it worked I'd probably buy an Apple USB modem and sell off my Extreme.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Well I stand corrected, that's cool.
  6. dgl macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006
    has anyone got the solution yet?

I have the same problem: just got a macbook with airport express and a usb modem, and until now i haven't been able to configure the airport for wireless access to the usb dial up modem... can anybody help?