Dialing for dollars with custom ring tones

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, May 27, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For nearly three years, US cellphone users have been able to train their phones to signal an incoming call with a trill, a buzz, a chirp, or ''Jingle Bells." But callers at the other end of the line have been stuck with hearing the same old Bell System ring-ring-ring as they wait for an answer.

That situation could change as soon as this autumn, as several US wireless phone companies prepare to launch their own versions of customized ringing tones that have begun taking East Asia and some parts of Europe by storm.

These services let subscribers choose what people calling them will hear instead of the normal ring: a snippet of music, a sound effect, or a famous Hollywood movie line like Clint Eastwood's ''Go ahead -- make my day."

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/05/27/dialing_for_dollars_with_custom_ring_tones/

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i want them to stick to the ring, because HECK I KNOW ITS RINGING IF I HEAR IT

3. TBR macrumors 6502

I've had this on my phone for a couple of months now, the caller hears the usual phone ring ring...ring ring....but quieter and with what ever you have chosen over the top. I have the Buffy the Vampire Slayer tune play because....well i'm kinda sad.

I have one word of advice, don't use movie quotes/ anything with speech because that WILL confuse the crap out of your caller.

4. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I look forward to hearing something different than the old 20th century ring . Get to have a little 21st Century in our lives. :cool:

5. TBR macrumors 6502

It's not the sound the phone makes when it's ringing it's the sound the phone makes for the caller on there end.

6. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, that is what the article was discussing. This will give something different for the cell phone caller to also hear something different. :)