Dialup ISPs that work with Airport Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by plutnicki, Jul 27, 2005.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    My Brother-In-Law currently uses NetZero for dial up internet. Unfortunately, NetZero requires that you use their software to connect. He has been, thus far, unable to get that software to dial out using the Airport Exteme's built-in modem. And he cannot connect manually, then use the software.

Can anyone recommend a dial up ISP that doesn't require the use of proprietary software to connect and/or is known to work using an Airport base station with a modem?

2. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    Try Allvantage [www.allvantage.com] - they should be cheaper than NetZero (only $6/mo), and they have local access numbers for pretty much everywhere near as I can tell. It should work with the Airport (at least it did when I used them up to about a year ago - I have DSL now), just get the basic PPP setup insructions from their site. They don't require any special software to use it (unless perhaps if you get the 'accelerated' or whatever they call it version - but that's mostly useless anyway).
  3. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Earthlink has a dial up that I used a few years back with an older base station. I see no reason it wouldn't work now with the new ones. That's assuming you're even using a new one. Earthlink might be more expensive than what you're looking for.
  4. Malachi macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree Earthlink should work fine. You can always sign up for the 30 day trial period, or upgrade to DSL... lol
  5. pubwvj macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    For years I used Sover.net with our Airport, until I got DSL. Wheee!
  6. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003

He signed up for allvantage and that seems to be working fine for him!

thanks all.
  7. Cindy macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    I'm awaiting the arrival of my new ibook which has built in wireless. Now, my ISP is dialup. I cannot get DSL or anything out where I live.
    I will be using my current ISP with my ibook which will be dial up. Will I have problems connecting wireless then? Or was this above problem just with NetZero?
    My current ISP told me all I have to do is go to PPP and punch in the correct numbers (depending on where I am) and go.