Dick Cheney shoots a man (no, I'm not kidding!)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was going to try to make a smartass remark about this, but...res ipsa loquitor...the thing speaks for itself. :p :p :p

BLAM!

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I just saw this on the news...all I can say is wow.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hey the dudes not dead so it's ok to laugh

4. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

This underscores the fact that hunters NEED TO BE CAREFUL. It's still hilarious, though.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So the onus of safety is not on the shooter?

I wonder what the NRA would have say about that.

Attached Files:

6. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

It seems like this should be made into a bigger story than it has been -- maybe use this to promote better gun safety practices, perhaps?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

First off, I'm glad the dude wasn't killed or seriously injured. Secondly, I'm not really up on quail hunting etiquette but if your are approaching a hunting party you should make yourself known. W/o knowing details you can't blame the VP for this 'cause Mr. Whittington might not have been in Cheney's line of sight when he pulled the trigger.

For example, lets say Mr. Whittington was behind the VP at 5 O'clock. The quail get flushed on the VP's right (let's say 1 or 2 O'clock) and they fly off to his right (clockwise more or less). Assuming the VP is right handed he's tracking down the barrel of the shotgun w/his right eye following a bird in flight and pulls the trigger around 4 O'clock. The trajectory and spread of the birdshot could, IMO, be such that it drifts into Mr. Wittington's right side w/o Mr. Wittington being visible to the VP.

When shooting birds you are supposed the "sweep" w/the shotgun to give the birdshot a longer horizontal spread (as opposed to the fairly circular spread of a non-moving shotgun) to help increase chances of hitting a moving target. And we are talking about birds in the wild here, not clay pigeons that launch from known location and travel a predictable path, so it's even more important for someone to let a hunting party know "Hey, I'm over here."

Lethal

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i laughed out loud when i saw this on cnn.com, the subheading goes a little something like this:

The later quote by the ranch owner was classic too:

edit: here's the link

9. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Tomorrow's headlines should be good. Personally, I'm looking out for something along the lines of 'Dick not firing blanks' ;)

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The guy is a draft dodging dweeb, he has no business holding a gun. Lets hope he does jail time.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not to mention The Daily Show. :D

But I really should lighten up on Cheney. I'm sure his decision to fire was based on faulty intelligence. Anyway, the world is better off without that quail, and anyone who dares to suggest otherwise is just plain unpatriotic.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not clear from this but I have to wonder how close he was to the vehicle that the woman was sitting in and whether or not it was on a public road. There are pretty clear laws about shooting near vehicles and road. It may have to do with Cheney's multitude of illnesses or of course it may be just that Cheney is lazy and couldn't be bothered to walk. It would be nice to know more details.

It's pretty pathetic how the woman makes it sound like this is an everyday occurrence when hunting quail. Obviously both Cheney and the guy who got shot are at fault.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i have no respect for people who hunt, they can all go shoot each other for all i care.

shame it wasn't cheney that got shot.

ooh, did i just type that out loud? :p

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm so glad he's got better things to do than helping his idiot friend run the country

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't even know what a quail looks like! </Wedding Crashers>

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

IF he was to die, what is one more life to Cheney, i come on he was kill 2000+ people in iraq, add one more its 2001+

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh.

"this is all in the past. america has moved on."

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

He's not alone as a dumb politician with a gun:

In the pubs of Teesdale, they still talk about the day Willie Whitelaw shot his host in the backside.

In 1984, the then deputy prime minister, later to become Viscount Whitelaw was part of a shooting party, hosted by Sir Joseph Nickerson, the seed magnate from Middleton-in-Teesdale, who had shooting rights on the moor.The Tory grandee tripped while holding a loaded gun and peppered Sir Joseph in the backside.

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2006/1/12/215951.html

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Like this:

Attached Files:

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Too late. I'm sure ECHELON just flagged that one. :D

21. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Quail pic follows:

the pic is of a 'Generic' quail not TX Quail

Attached Files:

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

SUVs on private land maybe? Between the Secret Service and Cheney's medical brigade it sounds like there was a freakin' caravan out there. But, hey, if yer gonna get hurt at least get hurt w/someone that travels w/a team of medics. :D

From my limited knowledge about bird hunting "getting peppered" is not an uncommon thing. But given the distance between hunters, obstructions (trees, bushes, etc.,) and the weakness of the birdshot typically it's no big deal (the 'shot just harmlessly hitting someone and falling to the ground).

So, for example, buying quail at the local grocery store and taking it home for dinner is okay, but shooting the quail yourself and taking it home for dinner is not okay?

Lethal

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The guy cheney shot was a lawyer, I wish he was a better shot. No doubt a republican lawyer at that.

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My understanding is that Whittington is a member of al Qaida, and the VP decided to make an example of him to prove that all of that homeland security money is well-spent...good to see Congress appropriate a few billion to buy Dick a shotgun.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It still bothers me. Where was the car(s)? Was it a car or a SUV? None of that is explained but if the guy came from behind and hopefully the vehicle was behind Cheney when he took his shot, why is he shooting behind himself?

This just doesn't add up especially since the guy is in intensive care. If he's using a 28 gauge with birdshot at 30 yards, there's no way the guy is going to have to go into intensive care unless there's serious damage. Ok, he's older but still, something's fishy.

We'll obviously never know what really happened, surrounded as he was by SS agents and Republican buddies but it smells like rotten quail eggs to me.