Dick Clark

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Who else tuned in -- out of morbid curiosity if nothing else -- to see Dick Clark on New Year's Eve?

It was nice to see him again, and he actually doesn't look too bad for someone who's been through a stroke. He's obviously a bit aphasic -- his elocution was somewhat slurred, though it was pretty easy to understand him. Still, his awareness and sentence structure showed that his mind seems to be working okay. He's not struggling for words, only for the ability to clearly enunciate them.

It was really kind of bittersweet -- sad to see him in that condition, but nice to know that it's no worse than that. The guy deserves props for putting himself on TV again.

Good job, Dick. See you next year. :cool:

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was nice to see him but kinda sad to see him in his condition, I give props to Seacreast for doing a nice job and not being his over the top American Idol self. I can see him as the future of new years and a force to be reckoned with for decades to come.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I missed it. Does anyone have links to video clips of him?

Was it that bad?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It wasn't bad for a guy who suffered a severe stroke, more upsetting to see it happen to an icon like Dick Clark who you expect as an anchor of new years.

To put in in perspective Dick Clark was only on air for 8 minutes of the entire telecast.

5. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I thought it rather courageous of him to go on the air and not be so self-conscious of his difficulty speaking. It was a real "life goes on" sort of attitude displayed by him.

Speaking of speaking, did anyone else notice that you couldn't see Mariah Carey's breath when she was performing? Evidence of lip-synching?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There were a few lip sync snafoos new years, If you watched Carson Daily you would of seen Mary j Bleige get screwed when the wrong track started to play. As for Mariah she has no soul so no breath to see, how else has she been able to stay around so long.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You breathe even when lip synching. But of course she was lip synching. She's a pop-star.

Good for Dick Clark. I mean, it was a really human thing he did -- we're all driven to recover ourselves, and he was so self-evidently recovering.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, I figured that too. I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you brought it up. I think Tommy Mottola sucked all of it out of her. She mentioned something to that effect, herself. :p

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

agreed

funny you should use the word 'human'. I would gauge a guess that they made a robot likeness of him - if not recently, years ago.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I thought he did pretty good considering what he's been through.

11. goodwill macrumors regular

dick clark is a gameshow host icon. he is a new years eve icon. he is a music icon. and his familiarity through generations is remarkable. that guy is tougher than nails.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It was creepy... he looked (to me) as young as ever, but his voice was just... I don't know. It was really weird. If you just listened to him without seeing him, you might have a hard time telling that it was Dick Clark. I think it's perhaps time for him to hang up the NYE broadcast gig and leave it to someone younger.

As for Mariah Carey: Has anyone else noticed that she's getting fat? Her legs are HUGE... noticed this not only on Saturday night, but also when she performed at halftime during one of the Thanksgiving Day NFL games.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe she's finally realized nobody cares about her anymore and she's letting herself go. Next thing you know she'll be wearing sweatpants.:rolleyes:

14. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

It made me sad to watch, but also good to see his determination to come back and continute what he loves to do.

Some moron on the internet posted an article with the title "Is Dick Clark Retarted?" after he saw him on ABC. Needless to say, he got criticised by a lot of people (read the comments) and made himself look like a foolish idiot.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/13151

Hope to see you next year Dick :)

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Eventually, she'll have a comeback special, trying to dance in a wheelchair because she lost a leg due to diabetes, and with a beer gut.

Also, I missed Wynton Marsalis that night too. :(

16. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I was glad to see him looking so well.

BUT....

Did anyone else think that his stuff was taped and not live? Maybe it's just because I work in broadcasting and know how easy it is to make a shot look live. It just seemed too perfect for somone who had a stroke. As soon as Seacrest said Dick's name (for the toss), he started speaking immediately (which he is supposed to do), but I find it hard to believe that would happen (especially with the trouble he had speaking all together). It just seemed like all his stuff was pre-recorded in front of a green screen and they stuck the live shot in the background. My great aunt had a stroke last year, and whenever I say her name, it takes at least 10 seconds before she responds. I know every person reacts to a stroke differently, but it just seemed to perfect.

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I really hated how they had Hilary Duff MCing the Hollywood party in a gold dress and with her hair down, and then they'd immediately cut to her singing some damn song or another in a completely different dress and with a different hairdo. The folks I was with thought she was changing costumes, until I pointed out that she went from one costume and hairdo to the other in less than 10 seconds.

Pretaping segments and lipsynching really piss me off.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Years ago we decided to keep the TV turned off on New Year's Eve. We have friends over for a party, and at midnight we gather in the living room, break out the champaign, wait for the clock to chime 12, and sing "Auld Langs Ayne" together. Best New Year's Eves ever, spending them that way.

With all due respect to Dick Clark, New Year's is so much more enjoyable and authentic completely free from the influence of TV personalities. I recommend it.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

She can lip sync all she wants as long as she doesn't pull a Christina or a Britney and decide to whore it up. At least Duff has "some" acting ability.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I believe Clark was live as they did a 1 camera shot toss from him to Seacreast in the same frame.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've pretty much celebrated my New Year's eve that way for years now. I agree, it's the best way.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

she has the #1 best selling album of the year, so I guess someone cares about her. :rolleyes:

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That doesn't mean she's any good tho, people buy Ashley Simpson's albums too but that doesn't make her any good.

24. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

It just wouldn't be new years without dick clark. i put some pictures up on my site of how he looked throughout the years:
    http://grepped.net/blog/?p=21
    I haven't got one yet from new years, but you can see in 2002 he still looked great for his age. Consider this (as of yesterday):

• He is 76 years old
    • or 914 months old
    • or 3,970 weeks old
    • or 27,794 days old
    • or 667,056 hours old
    • or 40,023,397 minutes old
    • or 2,401,403,860 seconds old (THATS 2.4 BILLION!)

25. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

People care about "her" music because people are radically stupid. :)

This doesn't mean that anyone cares about her.