Dick Gephardt loves his iPod!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBytes, Dec 7, 2004.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Mudbug you didn't mention the pagans/festivus/or athiests! in your signature greeting, are you playing favorites? :D :D :D

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Anyone want to be kind enough to post the text of the article since NYTimes requires registration (yes, I know it's free, it's still a pain in the ass).

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

mmmh.
    interesting aswers. maybe he would have been a good prez.

p.s. stoid, I will be kind and not post the article so maybe you will register to the NYT, which is one of the few decent sources of info in the country (they do screw up sometimes and they're a bit conservative, but you can't win them all ;)

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The New York Times is "a bit conservative?" Are you sure you've ever read the NYT? They're anything but. :D

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

For those of you who don't want to register, get firefox if you don't have it already:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Then get the Bug Me Not plugin:

http://www.bugmenot.com/

Then right click (or ctrl-click) the "user" field on the NYT login and select Bug Me Not. This will enter someone else's username and password for you to log in.

8. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

about the bugmenot,
    if you don't want to firefox but still want the plugin, you can come pretty close to it with a bookmarklet in safari
    just make a boomark and set the address to
    Code:
    javascript:void(window.open('http://bugmenot.com/view.php?mode=bookmarklet&url='+escape(location),'BugMeNot','location=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=385,height=450'))
    and then place in in the bookmark bar for easy access

9. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Per request, here's the article. It's in Q&A format. The questions are in italics. Unfortunately, the italics won't show up in here, so use your imagination. :D

Edit: I bolded the good parts. :D:D:D

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

And for anyone who doesn't use Firefox ... if you go to BugMeNot's main site, you can type in "www.nyt.com" and get a login / password for the site. :)

11. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Thanks, I didn't know about that.

12. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Wonderful, I'm glad for him.

But... so what?

Another filler story

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're right, this isn't exactly heavy-hitting news. But it does involve Apple and a prominint person, which often meets the threshold for posting it to this site. As you can see, no one is making too much of a deal about this, just noting it in passing.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

NY Post is the conservative one. Probably what they were thinking of.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Nelly? Eminem? eBay? iPods? Man, Dick Gephardt is HIP!

16. macFanDave macrumors 6502a

He probably needs to turn the volume WAY UP

while walking the halls of Congress to drown out the gloating of the ****ing Republicans these days.

Well, GOP, you've got the authoritarian, single-party form of government you've wanted since the 20's, let's see what's in store. Is it a Depression, WWIII, the bankrupting of the federal government and the cancellation of the Constitution? My bet is that all four are in your agenda.

17. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Actually, I wish they would talk about more of this type of stuff when they're on the campaign trail. To me, it makes all those guys a little more "human". I think they could definitely connect with younger voters that way. Of course, they might still not come out to vote. Who knows.

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, but I think they don't want to take away from looking presidential...There's a certain weight to being President (or running for the post) that inhibits such expression.

19. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Maybe, but how many of us remember Clinton blowing on that sax on Arsenio? How about Nixon on Laugh-In (already in office, but during reelection). Bush (sr) talking about his refusal to eat broccoli b/c he's the president. Reagan sharing is (almost) obsession with jelly beans. I know that the last two of these did not take place during an election time, but all of these events made many people see the president (or in Clinton's case-hopeful president) as more human even though you wouldn't normally describe the events as "presidential".
    And when the press is taking pictures of Kerry windsurfing, I question how un-presidential it would be for someone who is running to say that they have an iPod or that they think the electoral college is outdated. I guess you could argue that Kerry didn't win and that Bush turned that photo-op against him, but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think anyone looked at that footage and then described Kerry as un-presidential because of it.
    I guess really is all depends on what demographic that you're trying to appeal to. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they say that they younger voters (which I'm still barely one of) didn't come out to vote in the numbers that were hoped for by some. So why would you do anything to appeal to them when it could turn off voters that are more of a "sure thing"? Maybe you wouldn't. And maybe I just disproved my own original statement... :rolleyes:

20. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think you're right when it comes to the iPod...However, Nelly and Eminem are a bit too hot to handle for any active politician. It's just too controversial on an issue whose controversy isn't worth it. Should anyone vote for you because you listen to Eminem? Will people? Maybe, but not nearly as many as those who WON'T vote for you because you listen to Eminem.

21. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I'll agree with that. I can see commenting on it if asked (I don't think he really was here) and emphasizing that you enjoy the beat of the music and not necessarily the lyrics and focus on it being a "hometown" person who you're also supporting. Looking non-presidential and being overly controversial because of listening to music with harsh lyrics are two different things I think.

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I think the President were given an iPod he would find a way to fall off of it, or choke on it.

He could pre-record his speechs though, I would rather watch an iPod standing in his place.

23. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

Now there is an idea! Someone from the White House could just put one ear-bud on each mic. And if it was an iPod photo, the screen could have a little presidential seal on it. It sure would by a whole lot cheaper than flying the idiot around on Air force One...